Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Atta
Level 7

Re: Please fix this No Internet issue!!

Same issue with 5 devices including the smart TVs. Last night swapped my modem from Spectrum and all the devices connected with internet immediately. Whatever the reason something happened on the internet provider's (Spectrum) end which seem to affect everybody around the same time.

0 Kudos
csetterfield
Level 7

Same issue with seven devices.  Clearly not a restart issue.  Tried that over and over.  I did not realize rokus had a shelf life.  I would have bought something else if I had.  Seven Roku devices, including three Insignia Roku TVs that are useless.  Really????????

0 Kudos
heybemo
Level 7

We had 3 Rokus stop working Thursday.  After reading these community posts, went to local Spectrum office and the office rep said that recent thunderstorms have created massive problems with the modems and has been swapping them out all day.  Took new Spectrum modem home and all Rokus are working once again.  If anyone's issues developed after recent thunderstorm activity in your area, the modem could be the cause.  Thank you.    

0 Kudos
Rdjntx
Level 9

I have two ROKU Ultras and Spectrum internet.  I had both my rokus quit working with the same symptom that most in this thread have.  connected to the wireless but no internet.  one was pulling an IP from my wireless router and the other didn't show an IP but when I looked in the router it has an IP assigned and when I pinged it I got an answer.  weirdest thing I think I have ever seen. ... I spent a few hours between Roku tech support and the idiots at spectrum and received exactly ZERO help.   I found this thread shortly after and took the advice several gave i.e. take the modem to spectrum and swap it out.  sure enough once I did that and reset my network everything came up.   

My guess is that something in a recent roku update is incompatible with older spectrum modems and that is why they are failing to fully connect 

0 Kudos
fujo1975
Level 8

I really wish that people would stop blaming Roku for was us so obviously a SPECTRUM issue. It's getting to the point of being ridiculous.

Let's just set aside the fact that swapping your modem fixed the issue which should by itself tell you that.

Nothing from the standpoint of network connectivity has changed on the Roku side, nothing. So even if they pushed an update it would be unlikely do with that portion of the software that relates to how it connects. And devices that are updated manually by PC were affected at the same time as the others and we know they received no update at all. 

STOP BLAMING ROKU

0 Kudos
MashaT22
Level 8

So here’s an interesting thing with this problem. The Roku Channel app on my Roku Ultra seems to load just fine. However, both the Roku and Roku Channel iOS app is producing the server issue (see screenshot). Has anyone noticed this problem on their Roku iOS apps?

I tend to think that this is entirely a bug from the new Roku OS update or a bug with their server. I don’t think this has anything to do with any of our ISP’s. In all likelihood, those who swapped their modems probably reset whatever is causing the bug on their Roku.

The thing is, that workaround won’t do anything in my case. I may try uninstalling and reinstalling the app to see if that resolves the error — I will post an update here regarding that.

Assuming my theory is correct, Roku should be able to patch the bug in an update. I hope they will do so ASAP.  (I should get rewarded if I’m right too, lol — obviously their tech team isn’t interested in speaking about this, perhaps because they can’t figure out the cause!).

P.S  I’m tagging some support agents below. Maybe they will be inclined to reply if they start realizing that this widespread issue needs immediate attention and recognition.

@RokuPam  @RokuShawnS @RokuSamir @RokuAustin @RokuAndyT @RokuRobB @RokuWimM @RokuTyB @RokuTonyP

@RokuTonyP

0 Kudos
Rdjntx
Level 9

actually FUJO1975 you over state the evidence.   it is entirely possible that Roku could have pushed an update that set of a chain of events and affected how the roku interacts with the modem.   I am unfamiliar with the testing Roku does prior to pushing an update out (firmware is famous for this kind of problem) so I can't say for certain that it was their update. but indications are that they are at least partially to blame.  When you have as many people as there are complaining and the common denominator is the Roku and they all demonstrate the same symptoms across several ISPs that is a pretty good indicator.  But without doing a formal failure analysis neither you, me, nor anyone else can say for certain that is was or was not Roku's fault. 

The above being said, my money says that yes, there was an update, and it broke the older modems, which is why swapping to a newer modem fixed the issue.   I have yet to read where anyone who swapped their modem wasn't fixed. 

MashaT22
Level 8

I basically said the same thing. I 100% agree. I don’t beta test for Roku, but I do have 23 years of experience — and I really think the update affected older modems.

It still doesn’t explain how my iOS app is affected and not my Roku Ultra, but yeah . .  .

User10
Level 7

I'd been having this same issue (multiple Roku devices connecting to Wi-Fi, but unable to connect to the internet, while all non-Roku devices were working fine. Netflix was still working on my Roku devices, somewhat) and was at a complete loss after having looked through the forums, contacting my ISP (Spectrum), contacting Roku, and performing factory resets on nearly all of my Roku devices and my router (Asus RT-AC56U).

After a couple days of trying different router settings, I stumbled upon an old forum topic that suggested the following to fix connection issues with the Roku phone App:

Log into router, and change the following setting Wireless=>Professional=>Airtime Fairness should be disabled (it's enabled by default).

After changing this setting, rebooting my router, and rebooting my Roku devices everything started working fine.

My understanding is that this is a pretty common router setting so even if you don't have an Asus router you'll likely find this feature present and enabled on your router (you may have to look around a bit in your GUI to find it though). Given the prevalence of the Airtime Fairness feature, and the fact that my Roku devices seem to have worked fine with it enabled for more than a year, I'm surprised Roku devices seem to be having issues with it lately.

Hope this works for other folks!

Tags (2)
ATM1
Level 7

Woke up this morning and the two Roku boxes are working and connected to the internet. 

0 Kudos