Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Phone remote can’t connect to network

Jump to solution

Hi I have a problem I recently moved into college and we have a shared college sign in network page , I have connected my roku to my college WiFi via using my tablet to sign in , the internet works perfectly on my roku and powers all the apps but only problem is on the colleges open network somehow my roku cannot detect any devices so I can’t use my phone remote or screencast apps on the tv this is really fustrating as it’s enabling me from using the headphone listen feature which is very essential to me , anyone have any advice on how to solve this ?? I’ve tried everything it seems

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Phone remote can’t connect to network

Jump to solution

Shared WiFi such as hotels or public networks (like a college) have security enabled that blocks connected devices from seeing each other. This is a valuable security setting, and you won't get the college IT department to change it. The only way you could make it work would be to set up a bridge router to connect to their WiFi and give yourself your own private network. But that's not a simple thing to set up. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Here's what I did when I was staying long term in a hotel. I brought a Windows 10 computer with me that had both a wired and wireless connection. I connected the wireless to the hotel network, then enabled Internet Connection Sharing on the Windows PC and connected a small network switch to the computer's wired connection. One more step, I added a router configured as a wireless access point, and voila, I had a private network all my own within the hotel suite. 

There are routers that can perform the same trick, and I have one I travel with. But it's always been hit or miss getting it connected to the hotel network. Using Internet Connection Sharing from Windows is foolproof. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

Have you seen this Roku page re the Hotel & Dorm connection capabilities?  https://support.roku.com/article/215058118

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Shared WiFi such as hotels or public networks (like a college) have security enabled that blocks connected devices from seeing each other. This is a valuable security setting, and you won't get the college IT department to change it. The only way you could make it work would be to set up a bridge router to connect to their WiFi and give yourself your own private network. But that's not a simple thing to set up. 

Dan

Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Here's what I did when I was staying long term in a hotel. I brought a Windows 10 computer with me that had both a wired and wireless connection. I connected the wireless to the hotel network, then enabled Internet Connection Sharing on the Windows PC and connected a small network switch to the computer's wired connection. One more step, I added a router configured as a wireless access point, and voila, I had a private network all my own within the hotel suite. 

There are routers that can perform the same trick, and I have one I travel with. But it's always been hit or miss getting it connected to the hotel network. Using Internet Connection Sharing from Windows is foolproof. 

Dan

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Oh my thank you sooooo sooo much I really appreciate it you are the absolute best 😁😁😁😁

0 Kudos