Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macluther
Level 7

PC Streaming to Roku Stick using Miracast

After struggling for many hours trying to stream from my PC using Miracast to my TV using a Roku Stick ( and separately to a Roku TV), I found that it and ScreenBeamMini2 will not work. Voice is intermittently garbled and video intermittently breaks up. I ordered a Miracast stick from Microsoft and it works fine.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: PC Streaming to Roku Stick using Miracast

@macluther wrote:

After struggling for many hours trying to stream from my PC using Miracast to my TV using a Roku Stick ( and separately to a Roku TV), I found that it and ScreenBeamMini2 will not work. Voice is intermittently garbled and video intermittently breaks up. I ordered a Miracast stick from Microsoft and it works fine.

First, what version of Windows? Windows 10 does not require an app. However, from what I can determine the Windows PC has to have a wireless network adapter. None of my desktops can screen mirror to a Roku, but my laptop does just fine.

Under Windows 10, you click the icon on the very bottom right of the screen (I believe they call it the notification icon). at the bottom of the window that opens, there are some buttons, but you might need to click Expand. Look for the Project button. Click that and you will see some options for screen sharing. If you are equipped to project to a Roku, there will be a link at the bottom labeled "Connect to a wireless display". When you click that, anything on your network that you can project to will be listed. For me, that's all my Roku devices, as well as several TVs and my two Nvidia Shields. 

If the link that says to project to a wireless display isn't there, your computer isn't capable of projecting to a Roku. It's a computer issue, not the Roku.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

Miracast uses a wifi direct connection between devices, and only newer wifi chips support that, and even then it seems to not be fully standardized.  Oddly, my windows laptop will project nicely to roku devices but with a Sony TV that also claims to support it, it is too slow to be usable,

In any case if you are streaming file based content (music, photos, video) you are better off using a server like Plex or a DLNA server on the PC and letting a roku app play it.  Or use the roku app on a phone/tablet to send it instead of mirroring the screen.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@lesmikesell wrote:

Miracast uses a wifi direct connection between devices, and only newer wifi chips support that, and even then it seems to not be fully standardized.  Oddly, my windows laptop will project nicely to roku devices but with a Sony TV that also claims to support it, it is too slow to be usable,

In any case if you are streaming file based content (music, photos, video) you are better off using a server like Plex or a DLNA server on the PC and letting a roku app play it.  Or use the roku app on a phone/tablet to send it instead of mirroring the screen.

I don't believe that screen sharing on my Windows 10 laptop is WiFi direct. If that were the case my computer would lose its Internet connection, which it does not. There's only a single WiFi card in my laptop, and doesn't support two separate connections at the same time. And it will connect/project onto devices that are hard wired to my network, so their wireless is disabled. I'm certain it's using my network connection between the two devices (laptop and Roku/TV/Shield) for the mirroring. 

But I completely concur that using a DLNA server on the network is far easier and more convenient for local content.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@lesmikesell wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast

"Miracast employs the peer-to-peer Wi-Fi Direct standard."

All I'm saying is Windows 10 screen mirroring (project as they call it now) does not disconnect my WiFi connection to my router while I'm screen mirroring. So it certainly appears to be connecting to the alternate display over my internal network, not directly between the two devices. If it's possible to maintain two separate WiFi connections with a single radio, I'd be happy to be corrected. But I've never seen that.

Dan
0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

Some devices support it, some don't.  That's why you see complaints about people not being able to connect.

https://superuser.com/questions/904415/how-can-i-tell-if-a-device-supports-wi-fi-direct

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@lesmikesell wrote:

Some devices support it, some don't.  That's why you see complaints about people not being able to connect.

https://superuser.com/questions/904415/how-can-i-tell-if-a-device-supports-wi-fi-direct

Thanks for that link, I appreciate it. I'll do some more studying on it. 

Dan
0 Kudos