Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
WHogue1102
Level 7

Over 1Tb usage in one month - Comcast tech blames Roku Box

Our first month with Roku and streaming YouTube TV.  Our internet provider is Comcast which has a 1Tb monthly data limit.  We used almost 2Tb in November yet we only stream live or recorded video 4-5 hours/day.  Comcast website says we should be able to stream video 21 hours a day and and stay under 1 Tb limit.  Comcast service tech came out and said the problem is our Roku boxes.  He said they use up data whether we are streaming video or not.  If you don't unplug them (instrument power) when you are not using them they will use data.  He turned on our Samsung Smart TV using the Samsung remote (not the Roku remote) and the Roku aquarium screen saver came on.  Tech said this screen saver running 24 hours/day  uses up data even though you aren't streaming any live or recorded programming.

I am going to download an app for my router so I can see the data usage by device in real time.  That should allow me to unplug instrument power from the Roku box and see if I can notice any reduction in data usage.

Has anyone else had this problem?

7 Replies
Mishlz
Level 9

Re: Over 1Tb usage in one month - Comcast tech blames Roku Box

I’m having the same problem as everyone else with the new ultra. I bought it for the Ethernet port. Before this I had the original Amazon Cube. You not only had the choice of resolution, but picture quality. The choices were “Best, Better, Good “. The three options were for data consumption. Amazon also offers a way to program an alert when the tv or streaming device has used a certain amount of data, that you set, for the month. On my 1080p tv with “Good” setting on the cube, I was using +\- 1Gb per day. That’s just for the tv. My Fire tv with the Ethernet port being the only connection, there’s no resolution change option. It uses whatever the streaming service uses or what I can adjust inside an app. This tv uses a little more data then the cube. With Xfinity 1Tb per month cap= approximately 33Gb/day you can use. I have my tv now at 720p, and after monitoring data consumption by the Roku, I go into my router settings and pause internet connection to the Roku when I’m not using it so it cannot INHALE any more data! I had the Roku on the home screen, watched local tv from my antenna for 6 hours, and 4Gb of data was used. My other devices on the network were not the culprits. A new generation Amazon Cube just came out, I’m considering trading in my Roku for it since I just bought the Roku two weeks ago.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
PlainFacts
Level 8

0 Kudos
Highlighted
maggiemay97
Level 7

I'm having a similar but different problem.  I have a 300 Gig data cap on my internet service.  For the past 2-1/2 years I have had no problem staying under that amount because there was a "hidden" menu on my roku tv that allowed me to manually choose an mbps download setting.  I would set it at 5 and my tv worked just fine with no buffering or noticeable decrease in quality.  Since the new Roku system upgrade that appears to have happened a couple of weeks ago, that menu has disappeared. (Or  has moved and I don't know how to access it anymore) I'm now having trouble staying under my cap, especially if I watch Hulu and Hulu's Showtime add-on, which are two of my go-to channels.  They're now using about 2 gigs per hour! (In comparison, Amazon Prime and Acorn add-on use about 1 gig per hour.) And to boot,  I'm now often getting messages about buffering issues which I never got before.  I'm retired and home a lot and I can't use 12-15 gigs a day watching Hulu for only 6 or 7 hours.  That's crazy. I can't find any help on the Hulu site, or on YouTube which is where I first learned about the manual mbps setting menu a couple of years ago. Does anyone know if that menu for manually choosing a download rate still exists somewhere on my Roku tv? Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
dcathome
Level 7

I noticed my internet usage has gone up over the last couple of months. I power down my electronics nightly for 8 hours. I have not unplugged my Roku device. I was at 75% of my 400 GB monthly Mediacom usage with 15 days left in my billing cycle. Checking my Computer it had only used 24 GB of my total 300 GB used. I checked my totals last night before powering down my PC and this morning after powering back up and my usage overnight was over and see that it used over .5 GB. In a 30 day cycle with .5 GB used in 8 hours or 1.5 GB used in a day that would be around 45 GB a month. I normally don't use my Roku daily. When I switched my TV input to Roku, without touching the Roku remote, I had a Roku sales barker channel running trying to sell me the new Roku devices. In the documentation it said the Roku would go to sleep in 4 hours if the remote wasn't used. It doesn't so I am assuming that is why my usage has gone up. I used to have 3 Roku devices and unplugged 2 awhile back. If I still had them plugged in would I be losing 135 GB monthly? I understand I would be using 2 to 4 GB an hour watching shows but using bandwidth when not watching is **bleep**.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
andyross
Level 12

When you are not watching, do you hit the Roku's HOME button to put it on the home screen? That should keep it from using any data other than an occasional check for channel and firmware updates.

Highlighted
maggiemay97
Level 7

Yes.  I always  make sure I go through all the steps to exit whatever app I'm in.  I never used to do that then I found out that if you just shut it off the Roku can still be playing the app. Then I hit the home button, just to be sure, then I turn off the TV. My biggest issue is why does Hulu use so much more data than other apps.  I can't find any way to lower the quality of the stream.  Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
dcathome
Level 7

Same here, I always hit the home button. Before when going back in I would have to hit home to get out of the screen saver. The last few times it was on a promotion selling a new Roku box and this morning a screen showing epix channel. Thank you for replying.

0 Kudos