Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jemk

Operate/Configure Roku Through Computer USB Connection

Jump to solution

I had packed my Roku Streaming Stick/dongle with my Samsung 32" Series 5 HD TV before traveling to my elderly parents' house to remain in total quarantine during the crisis, but it seems the remote fell out before I left the city that I drove two hours from to get here.

Now, the Roku does not automatically recognize my parents' Wifi connection nor my phone's mobile hotspot--my computer can recognize the device but there's no IP Address listed in the Device settings dialogue windows nor is there a file directory. I cannot configure the device without the remote and Bluetooth connection from my computer does not seem to be working properly, nor does the Samsung TV Wifi Direct capability.

How do I view sdk or file directories/hierarchies for the Roku computer and configure this from a USB connection on my laptop PC? Is there a way to write some sort of JS/JSON/batch file that can operate my Roku and direct it to connect to the Wifi without the remote via the laptop's data connection?

It is difficult to determine the directory link the Roku is connected to the computer through when I connect the hardware together via the USB port. I want to access this file hierarchy to edit the HTML file or SDE file or whatever it is you guys use to direct to my router IP/Wifi connection and password.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Operate/Configure Roku Through Computer USB Connection

Jump to solution

None of what you're attempting to do is possible.  The USB port is strictly for power and nothing else.  You can't use any remote app until the stick is connected to Wi-Fi and you can't connect to Wi-Fi without a remote.  You're only hope is to setup your parents' Wi-Fi SSID, password, and band (2.4GHz vs 5GHz) exactly as yours was at your home.

Short of that, you'll have to order a new Roku remote or a new cheap device like an Express just to get you through your quarantine.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
renojim

Jump to solution

None of what you're attempting to do is possible.  The USB port is strictly for power and nothing else.  You can't use any remote app until the stick is connected to Wi-Fi and you can't connect to Wi-Fi without a remote.  You're only hope is to setup your parents' Wi-Fi SSID, password, and band (2.4GHz vs 5GHz) exactly as yours was at your home.

Short of that, you'll have to order a new Roku remote or a new cheap device like an Express just to get you through your quarantine.

I am not a Roku employee.
Eagle200

Jump to solution

Hi,

I would try to operate the Roku using the Roku cell app.

I use one a lot on my Android phone but I have no idea if Apple has the same app but I would think so.

I also am using the USB input on my Roku to watch a lot of things from my 2tb WD hard drive so I do not understand whet the other person means by it is for power only.

Good Luck, Gordon

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Eagle200 wrote:

Hi,

I would try to operate the Roku using the Roku cell app.

I use one a lot on my Android phone but I have no idea if Apple has the same app but I would think so.

I also am using the USB input on my Roku to watch a lot of things from my 2tb WD hard drive so I do not understand whet the other person means by it is for power only.

Good Luck, Gordon

That won't work if you can't get connected to the network. The Roku and the phone have to both be connected to the same network for the app to see the Roku.

And there's only one Roku device that has a USB port that can connect a hard drive, and that's the Ultra. The OP has a Stick, and the USB port on it is power input only.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
SARCASTICDALEK
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

You can turn on your Hotspot and rename it to the network the Roku remembers. Makes sure the password is the same. Then connect to the roku app and change the settings to the new wifi. I did this once when I couldn't find my remote. 

mts713
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

If you setup your phone's hotspot to exactly match your home WIFI settings, so the roku can connect to the phone's hotspot, you may be able to trick the roku into working well enough to let you change the wifi settings to use the wifi in your new location. Other than that you'd probably need to buy a replacement remote (or universal remote that can operate the tv in question). .

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@mts713 wrote:

If you setup your phone's hotspot to exactly match your home WIFI settings, so the roku can connect to the phone's hotspot, you may be able to trick the roku into working well enough to let you change the wifi settings to use the wifi in your new location. Other than that you'd probably need to buy a replacement remote (or universal remote that can operate the tv in question). .

The Roku app will not connect to a device that is connected to the phone's hotspot, unfortunately. So you can't use the same phone to provide the hotspot and control the Roku. 

Universal IR remotes are an inexpensive option, but will only work on the non-Stick players. None of the Roku Stick models support IR control. 

Dan

0 Kudos
SARCASTICDALEK
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I did this with my phone and it worked just fine. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@SARCASTICDALEK wrote:

I did this with my phone and it worked just fine. 

That's good to know. Another user reported the opposite. Perhaps there some setting in the phone's hotspot that controls it. 

Dan

0 Kudos
mindl
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

None of the Roku stick models support IR control. Okay. So, can you tell me what is allowing the Roku remote to connect to a stick before wifi is connected? Is it magic? I'm finding myself in this situation. Got Roku. Ain't got a remote. Clearly wifi is NOT needed to communicate with EVERY SINGLE ROKU PRODUCT. Because, last i checked, Roku doesn't ship products programmed to specific networks. Now, if you want to gain some respect, stop this ridiculous nonsense and let customers have use of a product that you already grip too tight. Forced obsolecence doesn't mean you are saving the planet by reducing remote control waste. No, i believe you'd have to come out and say it.  

So, quit the b.s. Not only with the remotes, but modding forced junk. Zero respect.