Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jonmayhew
Level 7

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution
Found a possible fix?
After reading all the post above and making my phone name simple and password with just letters and numbers I still got a message that I was unable to connect One of the options said to try restarting” I did that and when I logged back in I went to settings / about and it said that I was logged in signal strength excellent it now works!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ccsccs
Level 7

Jump to solution
I have simple password. After many restarts sometimes works. Usually it does not.

It was great until the update, now I can't really use it. I set it up in the car for long roadtrips (the back seats have build in screen).
Since this issue is open for 4 months, I'm looking into using Fire TV Stick instead of Roku. 
Highlighted
fredn
Level 7

Jump to solution
FWIW to anyone else (and I can't believe Roku hasn't resolved this issue in several months!):  Through trial, error, and luck I found a fix.  I'm using a Roku HDMI Stick and an iPhone 6s.  Hotspot's name is very short and neither it nor its password use special characters or spaces.  Tried rebooting both more times than I want to admit.  Roku could see the hotspot but threw error 14.40 when trying to connect.  The trick was to keep the iPhone displaying the hotspot config screen (the one that shows your hotspot password) through the ENTIRE connection process.  I only thought of this test because my daughter's unbelievably antique iPad requires the same thing.  Everything works, and I love my Roku, but shame on them for not paying more attention to this basic issue.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution
"fredn" wrote:
FWIW to anyone else (and I can't believe Roku hasn't resolved this issue in several months!):  Through trial, error, and luck I found a fix.  I'm using a Roku HDMI Stick and an iPhone 6s.  Hotspot's name is very short and neither it nor its password use special characters or spaces.  Tried rebooting both more times than I want to admit.  Roku could see the hotspot but threw error 14.40 when trying to connect.  The trick was to keep the iPhone displaying the hotspot config screen (the one that shows your hotspot password) through the ENTIRE connection process.  I only thought of this test because my daughter's unbelievably antique iPad requires the same thing.  Everything works, and I love my Roku, but shame on them for not paying more attention to this basic issue.

Your solution was with a 6S. I never had any issue using my 6S when connecting my Ultra or a Roku TV to the hotspot. These people are specifically having an issue with the latest version of the iPhone, which seems to do something different from earlier phones. It's great you found a solution that works for you, but I have my doubts it will help the others. But I'd be happy to learn otherwise  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
indybishop
Level 7

Jump to solution
Add me to list.  I purchased my Parent's a Roku today to use where they only have a hot spot option for internet.  Roku hooks to my Samsung hot spot just fine but won't to their Verizon Ipad hot spot.   Should I just return it for a sling-stick or whatever? Are other Roku like devices having the same issues with Iphones and Ipads?  
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're running into. We're still investigating some reports of issues connecting to iOS mobile hotspots. 

Please feel free to send me a private message with the Roku device's serial number from Settings>System>About, the Roku account email that the device is linked to, along with details about the iPad that you're encountering the issue on. Please include the model of iPad and the version of iOS that it is currently running. I'll follow up with you directly to continue assisting you. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
vcatt
Level 7

Jump to solution
I was also not able to connect my hotspot. To get it to connect I changed my phone name to something simple with no symbols. Chose to set up a Private Network and entered my phone’s name as the SSID. It then prompted me for the password and I was able to connect and set up the Roku channels, etc.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mbtb97
Level 8

Jump to solution
Following
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mbtb97
Level 8

Jump to solution
"RokuTannerD" wrote:
Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're running into. We're still investigating some reports of issues connecting to iOS mobile hotspots. 

Please feel free to send me a private message with the Roku device's serial number from Settings>System>About, the Roku account email that the device is linked to, along with details about the iPad that you're encountering the issue on. Please include the model of iPad and the version of iOS that it is currently running. I'll follow up with you directly to continue assisting you. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Tanner D if you notice this thread had been looked at and posted on over 25,000 times.  Please send out an email when the fix is made.  Seems like the newer Iphones are the ones having the issues hotspotting to ROKU.  THIS HAS TO BE FIXED.  This is a ROKU issue.  Iphone XR doesn't seem to have issues with connecting to anything else that I know of.  
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
Thanks for sharing the thoughts here. We are still investigating these reports. 

Please feel free to send me a private message with your Roku device's serial number from Settings>System>About, your Roku account email that the device is linked to, along with details about the iOS device that you're encountering the issue on. Please include the specific model and the version of iOS that it is currently running, as well as all the troubleshooting steps from this thread that you have tried. I'll follow up with you directly to continue assisting you from there as we continue looking into this. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos