Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tpeters0418
Level 7

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution
Any solution for this issue yet? I never had a problem until my Roku updated. Now it will see my iPhone hotspot but will not connect. I gave my Roku to a friend and they got it to connect on another WiFi (not hotspot) and it connected fine so I know the stick is working. If I factory reset my Roku I can sometimes get it to connect once but as soon as the software updates and the roku disconnects from my iPhone it will not reconnect. Frustrating roku! If you know your update has an issue roll it back so we can use your product again. Right now it’s a piece of junk sitting in the drawer. I am using an iPhone 8.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
Thanks for continuing to keep us posted. This is something we're still investigating and don't have any further updates as of yet. 

If you're still unable to resolve the issue by using the troubleshooting steps listed in this thread, please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About and I'll see what other suggestions I can help with. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
123Alondra
Level 7

Jump to solution
FOUND IT!!!!
Go to your iphone settings>General>About>Name if it has an emoji remove it I repeat REMOVE EMOJI FROM NAME IT WILL CONNECT INSTANTLY!!! Also remove symbols from wifi pasword.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lizarino
Level 8

Jump to solution
I have the same problem with my brand new Roku and my IPhone XS.

This doesn’t happen with my Roku TCL tv only the Roku Premier device that I just purchased.

When is this going to be fixed? I can’t believe this thread has been going on for so long with no fix. That is very disappointing.

To be clear none of the suggested “tips” work.

I’ve restarted the device multiple times. I’ve shortened the iPhone name and the hotspot password. There is some problem that needs to be fixed with Roku.

I’ve restarted the iPhone multiple times. My hotspot works for all other devices. Just not the Roku out of the box.
Highlighted
theuser86
Level 7

Jump to solution
You guys actually stream on the Roku via your cell phone? How do you not do over your data limit? And is it fast enough for 1080p Streaming? Guess LTE should be.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
CParker
Level 10

Jump to solution
unlimited data is a wonderful thing. And when it's available here, 5G unlimited will be sweet

Although, I gotta say I'd probably never hotspot my phone to stream Roku, I have used it in my truck so I can use my wifi only ipad and connect the truck's network to it on trips so we can bring up weather radar and such.
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lizarino
Level 8

Jump to solution
I’ve never gone over my data. I have used my hotspot to stream Roku for up to five hours a day and have gotten to 90% of 3g.

It’s important to have hotspot as an option. I know lots of people that use theirs to stream
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pritchett
Level 7

Jump to solution
I have an iPhone 6s and it won’t connect either. Updated to 12.3 version right now then will try again. My phone name is “iPhone” and there is no special characters in my password...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lizarino
Level 8

Jump to solution
Roku Support Staff when will this be fixed? What efforts are you doing to fix this? Is there an update coming out soon that will fix this issue?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Kwbrok
Level 7

Jump to solution
I have an iPhone X and have been dealing with this same issue for a couple months. I have a solution that finally worked for me. When setting up my hotspot password for some reason it defaulted to having a space at the beginning of the password. The space didn’t matter when connecting any of my other devices, but it did for the Roku. I backspaced immediately after clicking on the hotspot password setup box and it took the space out
0 Kudos