Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution
"jbigaouette" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
"jbigaouette" wrote:
Has anyone gotten this to work?  I agree the ROKU is useless without being able to connect to a hotspot.  What a pile of junk now.

They can connect to "a" hotspot. But there does seem to be an issue specifically with an iPhone X. I have a iPhone 6S as well as a Samsung S8 that I have used as a hotspot in the past, and never had an issue. It's just that one version of iPhone. 

It doesn't work with my IPhone 8s Plus.  So it's something with Roku & those iphone versions.  Frustrating that this has been going on for so long & they have done nothing about it.

Did you see Duke's comment about your phone name? If there's a space in your phone name, that might be the cause.When I was using it with my Roku, the phone name was just iPhone. I've never tried it since I renamed my phone, that now has a space in the name. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Bfull1478
Level 7

Jump to solution
"DBDukes" wrote:
"Bfull1478" wrote:
I am having the same problem with my iphone XS running IOS 12.2.  I put the password in and it fails to connect.  Works with my Samsung 7-8 just fine.

Try renaming your phone. Likely, you have special characters (apostrophe, spaces, etc) in the name, as that is Apple's default. Try renaming it to iPhoneXS only and see if it will connect. Settings > General > About > Name

I'm able to connect to mine with a simple hotspot name, which is derived from the name of the phone. With the default name, I can't connect. This is a Roku issue, and Roku should resolve it, but this is a workaround until then.

Thanks DBDukes, I will give that a shot tonight!!  My iphone name definitely has spaces.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jep5555
Level 7

Jump to solution
Both wife and I have iphone 6S.  Neither will connect to Roku.  Changed name of phones to eliminate spaces and special characters and they will connect, but only one time.  The very next time I need to connect, I have to go through the trouble of renaming the phone something else! I have to believe that this is a Roku issue - please advise when to expect an update fixing this problem!
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution
I have what I believe to be the same issue, I use a Roku plug in device and a smart tv with Roku. Both have issues with my iPhone XS Max, and my gf note 9. Only way I found around it is a reboot of the tv or Roku device. Also specifically with my iPhone it requires me to have the hotspot screen on my phone when I try to connect. Hope this helps anyone, I actually came here looking for a work around my issue, seems others are having a bigger issue than me. I have unlimited data also, streaming is perfect for me, no lag. Verizon for anyone interested.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Bfull1478
Level 7

Jump to solution
"Bfull1478" wrote:
"DBDukes" wrote:
"Bfull1478" wrote:
I am having the same problem with my iphone XS running IOS 12.2.  I put the password in and it fails to connect.  Works with my Samsung 7-8 just fine.

Try renaming your phone. Likely, you have special characters (apostrophe, spaces, etc) in the name, as that is Apple's default. Try renaming it to iPhoneXS only and see if it will connect. Settings > General > About > Name

I'm able to connect to mine with a simple hotspot name, which is derived from the name of the phone. With the default name, I can't connect. This is a Roku issue, and Roku should resolve it, but this is a workaround until then.

Thanks DBDukes, I will give that a shot tonight!!  My iphone name definitely has spaces.

I tried to change the phone name so there were no spaces or special characters but I still could not connect. I hope they come out with a fix soon. This is a real bummer I wanted to use this when I go camping.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
DBDukes
Level 11

Jump to solution
"Bfull1478" wrote:
I tried to change the phone name so there were no spaces or special characters but I still could not connect.  I hope they come out with a fix soon.  This is a real bummer I wanted to use this when I go camping.

You listed two of the three things: 1) no spaces, 2) no special characters, but didn't mention the third: 3) simple name.

Is it a short name? Like iPhone?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
x_problems
Level 7

Jump to solution
I am having similar problems connecting my Roku TV to my iPhone X hotspot. After trying everything in this forum I spent over 2 hours on the phone with Roku support. We tried every troubleshooting method in the book (even going as far as changing settings in the hidden menu). Nothing works. Roku blamed it on my hotspot provider Verizon, but Verizon confirmed nothing in my plan has changed. I can very seldom get it to connect after a factory reset, but it is very tedious and can take hours. Renaming my hotspot and password to something simple does not work. Resetting the tv and phone does not work. Roku will not own up to their faulty software.

Oh and the error code I get is 14.40 which support has told me is an incorrect password entry. Further proving their software is faulty (I know for a fact I am entering the right password). The only solution I can think of is to buy an Amazon FireStick and use this piece of junk they call a Roku TV as a display monitor.
Highlighted
DBDukes
Level 11

Jump to solution
"x problems" wrote:
I am having similar problems connecting my Roku TV to my iPhone X hotspot. After trying everything in this forum I spent over 2 hours on the phone with Roku support. We tried every troubleshooting method in the book (even going as far as changing settings in the hidden menu). Nothing works. Roku blamed it on my hotspot provider Verizon, but Verizon confirmed nothing in my plan has changed. I can very seldom get it to connect after a factory reset, but it is very tedious and can take hours. Renaming my hotspot and password to something simple does not work. Resetting the tv and phone does not work. Roku will not own up to their faulty software.

Oh and the error code I get is 14.40 which support has told me is an incorrect password entry. Further proving their software is faulty (I know for a fact I am entering the right password). The only solution I can think of is to buy an Amazon FireStick and use this piece of junk they call a Roku TV as a display monitor.

Did you set the iPhone name to something short and simple like "iPhone" and ensure the password was only letters and numbers?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Kmbrlyanne
Level 7

Jump to solution
I have an iPhone 7 Plus and I cannot get my hotspot to work either. I have tried all these little tricks and nothing works. We bought another roku because we thought the first one was just bad, but turns out they just won’t connect. However, I do have an older model Roku 3, and it picks up our hotspot perfectly. But the 2 newer ones that I have refuse to pick it up.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Kylee212
Level 7

Jump to solution
This issue has been going on for months now, I’m tired of restarting my system, my phone, doing a factory reset, resetting network, etc. And NOTHING works. I too have a IPhone max, and whenever I try connecting to the hotspot it fails. When is this issue going to be resolved. I’ve now started telling people not to even buy ruku products because they don’t ever get to fixing the issue in a timely manner. My grandparents don’t use the internet, so my hotspot is the only thing close to a router at their house. They can’t even enjoy movies or shows anymore, and it’s just sad. Sad that ruku has such HORRIBLE tech support.
0 Kudos