Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tbwright91
Level 7

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution
I would also like resolution to this as well. Roku is the only thing that won’t connect to my hotspot so it is definitely a Roku issue. I am tempted to go to another streaming device and stop using Roku as there doesn’t seem to be much technical support or urgency to fix.
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution
Hi everyone, 

Thanks for continuing to share what you're observing. Our team has continued investigating the issue, and is hoping to have further resolution soon. We appreciate your patience in the meantime. 

Please feel free to send me a PM with your details, and I'll continue to provide further updates as we know more. Stay tuned! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Bfull1478
Level 7

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution
I am having the same problem with my iphone XS running IOS 12.2.  I put the password in and it fails to connect.  Works with my Samsung 7-8 just fine.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
DBDukes
Level 11

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution
"Bfull1478" wrote:
I am having the same problem with my iphone XS running IOS 12.2.  I put the password in and it fails to connect.  Works with my Samsung 7-8 just fine.

Try renaming your phone. Likely, you have special characters (apostrophe, spaces, etc) in the name, as that is Apple's default. Try renaming it to iPhoneXS only and see if it will connect. Settings > General > About > Name

I'm able to connect to mine with a simple hotspot name, which is derived from the name of the phone. With the default name, I can't connect. This is a Roku issue, and Roku should resolve it, but this is a workaround until then.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
888nate
Level 7

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution
Help! I have four Roku TVs that will no longer connect to my iPhone hotspot! This is the only Wi-Fi I use and now they’re basically useless!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
DBDukes
Level 11

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution
"888nate" wrote:
Help! I have four Roku TVs that will no longer connect to my iPhone hotspot! This is the only Wi-Fi I use and now they’re basically useless!

Did you already try the previous suggestions of renaming your phone to something short and simple (like iPhone) and using a simple (letters and numbers only) password?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbigaouette
Level 7

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution
Has anyone gotten this to work?  I agree the ROKU is useless without being able to connect to a hotspot.  What a pile of junk now.
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution
"jbigaouette" wrote:
Has anyone gotten this to work?  I agree the ROKU is useless without being able to connect to a hotspot.  What a pile of junk now.

They can connect to "a" hotspot. But there does seem to be an issue specifically with an iPhone X. I have a iPhone 6S as well as a Samsung S8 that I have used as a hotspot in the past, and never had an issue. It's just that one version of iPhone. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
DBDukes
Level 11

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution
"atc98092" wrote:
"jbigaouette" wrote:
Has anyone gotten this to work?  I agree the ROKU is useless without being able to connect to a hotspot.  What a pile of junk now.

They can connect to "a" hotspot. But there does seem to be an issue specifically with an iPhone X. I have a iPhone 6S as well as a Samsung S8 that I have used as a hotspot in the past, and never had an issue. It's just that one version of iPhone. 

I’m able to use my iPhone X hotspot if I name my phone something short and simple, such as iPhone and have a simple (letters, numbers) password. If the name contains spaces or punctuation, it won’t connect. For instance, My iPhone X will not work.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbigaouette
Level 7

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution
"atc98092" wrote:
"jbigaouette" wrote:
Has anyone gotten this to work?  I agree the ROKU is useless without being able to connect to a hotspot.  What a pile of junk now.

They can connect to "a" hotspot. But there does seem to be an issue specifically with an iPhone X. I have a iPhone 6S as well as a Samsung S8 that I have used as a hotspot in the past, and never had an issue. It's just that one version of iPhone. 

It doesn't work with my IPhone 8s Plus.  So it's something with Roku & those iphone versions.  Frustrating that this has been going on for so long & they have done nothing about it.