Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Leon15108
Level 7

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution
No special chars. A firmware update might help. But I have packed it up to return. Going to use the streamer built into my LG TV. I like the Roku human interface and am used to it but I can live with learning a new one.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
wadsco
Level 7

Jump to solution

So its been a year since this thread started I guess instead of Roku just fixing the software issue, of Not connecting With any~ iPhone Hotspot, as everything else i own does...  WE should just waste our time struggling to fix a simple problem that's Obviously A Roku problem, searching for fixes that the Apple TV NEVER has .... Thanks, Roku for showing us how we matter....Remember Kmart

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: OS 9.1 - Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for continuing to share your reports. The latest software release, Roku OS 9.2, has improvements included that should address this issue. 

To resolve the issue, connect your device to a standard wireless network, and perform a system update by visiting Settings>System>System update>Check now on your device. Once you confirm that your device is updated to OS 9.2 (Settings>System>About), try connecting to your hotspot once again. 

As noted earlier in this thread, you may also want to try resetting your network connection in Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Network connection reset. 

Following these steps should help resolve the issue, and allow you to connect once again. If your device is already updated to OS 9.2 in Settings>System>About, and you have tried all the steps discussed in this article to troubleshoot your network, please see this topic

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

Back when this thread started, I still had an iPhone 6S, which connected via the hotspot with no problem. Several months ago my work swapped my phone for an XR. I tested it and it too worked with my Roku devices. I just tried it again with my Premiere, and the connection failed. In that time, both the Roku and Apple OS had received multiple updates. 

I then followed the advise offered long ago in this thread, to perform a Network Reset on my Roku. Guess what? It immediately connected to the phone again. 

So, there is no system-wide failure of a Roku device to connect to an iPhone hotspot. But people need to perform the step I just listed. I recognize that a small handful of people have problems ever after doing the reset. That's when you need to look at the SSID and passcode of the phone's hotspot and see if perhaps there's something there that Roku doesn't support, like special characters (@, #, $, etc.). And you can also try a network setting reset on the phone. This doesn't remove any information on the phone, but it will delete all saved WiFi settings, so be prepared to have to rejoin the phone to your home WiFi.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jonjon101
Level 8

Jump to solution

I never had a problem until iOS 13 came out however I did order a new Roku premier and received it yesterday and all of my iOS devices are connecting correctly

Additionally I have identical Roku 2 in my motorhome like I was having problem with in my regular home. The one in the motorhome works but the one in my regular home did not and apparently it was not a software problem it was some sort of electronica problem with in the Roku itself that had developed. I still think it odd though that it would connect to the Wi-Fi router but would not connect to my hotspot on my iPhone.

Regardless everything’s working fine now and the new Roku I do like some of its features

0 Kudos
Highlighted
lkb727
Level 8

Jump to solution
I have done the steps listed and my still doesn’t work. I have gone as far as the factory reset on my phone.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@lkb727 

Please try removing any special characters from both your network name and/or password. That includes any punctuation characters.

Also, try following the steps I listed previously to reset the network connection on your Roku device. This should fully resolve the issue. If not, please provide further details about your specific phone make/model, iOS version, etc. so we can help take a closer look. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
lkb727
Level 8

Jump to solution
Should I remove the numbers from my password as well?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@lkb727 You shouldn't need to, but in order to test, it can't hurt to try. 

Let us know what you discover! If you need more help, feel free to PM me with your Roku device serial number from Settings>System>About. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
wadsco
Level 7

Jump to solution
Just reset the network settings on your Roku and it will work instantly it’s just a fail of the Roku and the Their software
0 Kudos