Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddolan
Level 7

OS 9.0 and 5GHz WiFi

I have a Roku Ultra 4660 with a Panasonic plamsa set and a Vizio soundbar with wireless surround. After the 9.0 update, my device isn't finding my 5GHz network. I have an Airport Extreme with another Extreme as a bridge in the living room. Both routers are in the same physical position they have been in for two years. I had to reset my 5Ghz to channel 48, rather than Automatic to see the primary router, but the bridge (in the same room as the Roku and available on all of my other devices) is never shown.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: OS 9.0 and 5GHz WiFi

I don't think channel 48 is one of the supported channels. Mine is on channel 149, and all of my Rokus that support 5 GHz can see it. I always forget what channels are supported, but I don't think any with that low of a number are supported. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"atc98092" wrote:
I don't think channel 48 is one of the supported channels. Mine is on channel 149, and all of my Rokus that support 5 GHz can see it. I always forget what channels are supported, but I don't think any with that low of a number are supported. 

If you ever run across that list, or have a partial list, that might be a good Info post to put up, with others chiming in with additional info
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 10

"Basil" wrote:
If you ever run across that list, or have a partial list, that might be a good Info post to put up, with others chiming in with additional info

I can't find the posts discussing this now but I THINK these are 36-48 and 149-165
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 10

After a little research, Rokus with 5GHz don't support the DFS  (dynamic frequency selection) channels (52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 132, and 136). 

DFS channels are shared with other uses such as weather radar.  Routers supporting these channels must be able to detect such licensed use in your vicinity and automatically switch you to another channel. Some router manufacturers don't include this capability and so don't support those channels at all.

That leaves the following non-DFS channels that Rokus and virtually all 5GHz routers DO support: 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, and 161.

Reference: https://superuser.com/questions/692835/ ... nel-to-use
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
ddolan
Level 7

My router doesn't use DFS and I selected 48 because I had read in another thread that the Roku devices sometimes had trouble with the higher channels. The core of the problem for me is that I had never had a problem with my 5GHz network until after the update and I don't understand why it isn't seeing the bridge that's in the same physical space as the Roku and has much stronger signal strength in the living room.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

How far away is the AP from the Roku?
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"ddolan" wrote:
My router doesn't use DFS and I selected 48 because I had read in another thread that the Roku devices sometimes had trouble with the higher channels. The core of the problem for me is that I had never had a problem with my 5GHz network until after the update and I don't understand why it isn't seeing the bridge that's in the same physical space as the Roku and has much stronger signal strength in the living room.

I'm grateful that the information was discovered, and I've saved that info to my computer for reference. 
I haven't ever had an issue with the higher channels. One of my access points is set to channel 153, the other is 149. They both work fine. Since you're having issues with channel 48, I suggest experimenting with some other channels from the acceptable list and see if that resolves the issue. Also to piggyback on Shawn's question: if your Roku is too close to the router, that too might be an issue. The usual rule of thumb I follow is at least 3 feet away from each other. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ddolan
Level 7

The Roku is about 15 feet from the AP. I'm going to try a higher channel tomorrow. Will report back if there's any progress.
0 Kudos