Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hargyle
Level 7

OS 10.5 issues with channels such as Hulu, Prime Video, and BritBox

I had been a Roku customer since the beginning. Recently, when Hulu, Prime Video, BritBox wouldn’t play, I spent hours rebooting, deleting and restoring apps, and finally a factory reset. I did several internet speed tests. I ordered a new TV. 

Finally, I found all the other customers who had the exact same problem, learned that the v. 10.5 automatic update was to blame. And there is no way to revert to v. 10.  Roku has failed to be forthcoming with its customers, and I feel this lack of customer service and support is inexcusable. 

This ex-Roku customer solved the whole issue with the purchase of a $25 Amazon Firestick. Good-bye Roku. 

12 REPLIES 12\
Cheffi
Level 8

Re: Update 10.5 has Lost Roku This Customer.

Also having problems with 10.5 and have multiple devices (different versions). Upon start up, have "no signal" bouncing across the screen. Occasional streams repeat as if in a loop. Regular sound can bump in volume.

Designers, PLEASE, go back to the drawing board.

Cut the cord years ago and really depend on your services. Love Roku but very frustrating. 

cj

0 Kudos
MJK1
Level 7

Yes, I have had the same problems. Every single streaming channel I subscribe to (e.g., Prime, Hulu, Disney+), with the notable exception of Netflix, have all given me an error message saying there is a problem connecting to the internet. However, my internet connection is working fine. I have reset it several times. Besides, Netflix still works. I have even called the TV manufacturer (TCL) and performed a full factory reset. Nothing has solved the problem. But, I now know the TV itself is working. It is the ROKU platform that is having trouble. I agree that everything was working well until the recent software update. Something went wrong with update 10.5. I hope ROKU figures it out and fixes it soon. 

als60
Level 8

I fixed my HiSense Roku tv by emptying the cache. Do this: Go to Home,  then...         

Press the Home button five times, then the Up button once, the Rewind button twice, and the Fast Forward button two times. Wait until your Roku turns off and starts back up.

I also had to re-scan in order to regain reception on a few of my OTA channels. 

My 2 TCL Roku TVs have remained just fine.

0 Kudos
hargyle
Level 7

Update on the Update. 

Have continued to happily watch all my channels using the Firestick, after ditching the Roku products with the 10.5 update. 

I am very bothered that Roku still doesn’t address this issue, and still promotes button pushing sequences and alludes to ISP connection issues. Sooner or later, people will realize that the problem is in the Roku software, and nothing the customer does can fix it. 

Please admit the problem, Roku. I would have been much more understanding if I had felt that Roku was being honest. 

BeeGi
Level 7

Tried this. Didn’t fix the lack of connectivity issue I’ve had since the update.

KarolynCooley
Level 7

Ditto!

BrotherEsau
Level 7

This solution (posted by someone else) has solved the problem for many of us.  I have Xfinity and the below solved it.  I logged into my account in Xfinity and looked around and found the security setting referred to below.  Two mouse clicks later and I was back in business.  Good luck (although perhaps too late now).

...Might your router be one supplied by your internet provider? If so, your problem may have been caused by a recent update to your router. This has been reported lately with equipment from Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others.

Affected users report the router configuration needs to be switched from g/n security wifi protocols back to b/g/n. If you don't have access to your router's control panel you may have to have your internet provider do it for you...

0 Kudos
RikCamp
Level 8

I agree. why does the customer has to do all that button mashing when it's Roku not solving the problem in the first place? Roku shouldn't tell customer how to fix it lol! No excuses. 

0 Kudos
RikCamp
Level 8

well that didn't work. it did the reset function but still the same connection problem lol

0 Kudos