Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JutsinCase
Level 8

November Update - Wireless Connection Issue

It appears that since the latest update, most of us are unable to connect to our networks. As I’ve been reading, and experienced myself, I am able to use my phones hotspot to connect, but not my router. Like some others, I have tried to reset everything, disabled pins, changed WiFi channels on my router (big pain by the way), and now I’ve just come to the conclusion that this just sucks. As a customer, I am upset, as there have been multiple posts about this, for days if not weeks, and there is still no resolve. The only answers we are given, are the same steps we have all tried, and I for one am exhausted.
I will be telling people about the issue, as a lot of people I know use streaming devices like this, and I will not be recommending a Roku to anyone.

[Title updated to reflect issue]

Labels (1)
12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Massive November Update Issue

@JutsinCase Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear about the experience you're running into. Please recap the following details so we can help investigate what may be occurring: 

- What is the specific make and model of wireless router you are not able to connect to?

- What do you see on screen when you try to connect? Error messages, etc.? 

- What model of Roku device are you trying to connect to your network? (Settings>System>About) 

- If you are using a 2.4GHz-only compatible device, such as a Roku Express (any model) or Roku Premiere/+ (model 3920/3921 series), have you ensured that your wireless router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz wireless network? 

With more information we can definitely continue assisting you with the issue you're running into. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
sliver21
Level 7

i have the same problem and im using roku express

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@sliver21 

Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear about the experience you're running into. Please recap the following details so we can help investigate what may be occurring: 

- What is the specific make and model of wireless router you are not able to connect to?

- What do you see on screen when you try to connect? Error messages, etc.? 

- What model of Roku device are you trying to connect to your network? (Settings>System>About) 

- If you are using a 2.4GHz-only compatible device, such as a Roku Express (any model) or Roku Premiere/+ (model 3920/3921 series), have you ensured that your wireless router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz wireless network? 

With more information we can definitely continue assisting you with the issue you're running into. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Leannetim8
Level 7

having the same problem with our Sharp Roku TV it will connect to the hotspot on my phone but will not connect to our home network.  

0 Kudos
Lukemiller
Level 7

I’m having the same issue with my roku express. I am able to connect to wireless but get a red X when the roku goes to connect to the internet. My router is broadcasting in 2.4
0 Kudos
LC1
Level 7

I  also have this problem.  I have an AT&T Uverse router and use it to connect to google home, several tvs, roomba, Nest items, etc.  with no problems.  I have no idea how the router is broadcasting- the network shows up on the Roku Ultra but always get the red x.  Have followed all the troubleshooting tips - reset, etc with no success.  How do I fix this?

0 Kudos
jess4327
Level 7

I am having the same exact issue with two out of four roku express HD devices in my home. They will not connect to my router while all other roku devices, phones, iPads, laptops & firestick have not problems connecting to that same router/WiFi. Just a few days ago there was no issue. This is a huge problem considering I got rid of my Xfinity Cable boxes because they said they partner with roku. Am I just expected to buy new streaming devices when I just purchased these in August???
0 Kudos
sally2020
Level 7

same here, I keep resetting my router, go to connect, it says there's a wireless connection, then asks if its a home connection or dorm, hotel, I say home, it says cannot connect. 

0 Kudos
WBong
Level 7

@RokuTannerD 

I'm having the same problem, our Roku Express+ is not able to connect to our wireless system. I have another Roku device that has the same problem of unable to be connected. I've restarted the wireless router, its a Motorola Model SBG6580. I've checked with our ISP and they confirmed the router is operating correctly.

On the Express+, I get a message that says "Does your router block unknown MAC addresses? If so, add MAC address AC:AE:19:53:22:74. On the other Roku device it notes MAC address AC:AE:19:C4:AD:C9.

Not sure where or how to add MAC addresses. The MAC address of the router is quite different and starts with; 94 CC.

Thanks

0 Kudos