Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karlosvandango
Level 7

Not finding router

My roku box is not finding my router. It was connected to it then it just stopped. everything else is working fine but roku. I have enabled the network ping, I have also reset the box and my router.

Dose anyone have any ideas why its not finding it.

Its not just on 1 roku box its done it on 2.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Not finding router

Roku Express and Premiere are budget models with single band wifi operating only in the 2.4 GHz band.  They cannot use the 5 GHz band.  If you have either of these models and if you have a dual band router with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, make sure that something has not turned off the router's 2.4 GHz band.  Occasionally it is reported that updates to cable company provided equipment can do this.  (See this post from one Spectrum user who suddenly lost ability connect to his wifi on multiple Roku units:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/All-five-Roku-units-will-suddenly-n...

Other than that, I've run into this here several times.  This has always worked for me:

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart (for a Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Karlosvandango
Level 7

I have rest the router by unplugging and plugging back in with an hour no power to it. I have also contract my provider and they have told me no updates have been done.

I have tryed splitting the network as well so 5ghz and 2.4ghz are separate. 

I have unplugged the ruko boxes for and hour as well and tryed a factory reset with still no luck

0 Kudos
renojim

What's the model number of the Roku from Settings->System->About?  Are you in the U.S.?  Are you using a 2.4GHz channel from 1 to 11?  If your router uses OpenWRT or DD-WRT have you updated it lately?

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Karlosvandango
Level 7

I have a roku expresses model number in settings 3930EU (bottom of box 3930x)

0 Kudos
renojim

Ok, so that doesn't support 5GHz and it only supports 2.4GHz channels 1 to 11.

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Karlosvandango
Level 7

I have found the problem. Its because my 2.4ghz channel is on 13 but my router wont let me change it even though the ip. Any ideas how I can change it?

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Karlosvandango wrote:

I have found the problem. Its because my 2.4ghz channel is on 13 but my router wont let me change it even though the ip. Any ideas how I can change it?

Sorry, didn't think of that.  Wifi channel 13 is not used in the US and Roku doesn't support it.

To change the channel used by your router, you have to log into the router's configuration interface.  Your router manual, if you still have it, should show you how.

Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos