Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
melissa9562
Channel Surfer

Re: Not connecting to wireless

Hi, I have a TCL Roku TV I purchased a little over a year ago.  It suddenly cannot find any wireless network. (so I cant attempt to connect to any network because nothing pops up.)  I have unplugged, reset,  and finally factory reset the TV many times. I also reset and unplugged my router. When I go into setting/ network/ about it says to connect to the internet, in which when I proceed to connect to a wireless network, it says no networks found.

I did connect the ethernet and it worked!! but that leaves me without any wifi so nothing else works in my house that uses wifi.

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

It sounds like you connected your TV to the modem and it is working.  When you say that leaves me without any wifi you must have disconnected your router.  Does the router have an internet out that you can connect the TV to and leave the router connected to your modem?  If the router you disconnected has a port try that with the TV.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@melissa9562  I am glad you listened to me and your TV connects now. This is indicated something is wrong with wireless connection inside your TV. If it’s less than 12 months old then reach out to TCL for warranty. We aren’t TCL here. 

Explain what you mean about that you can’t use your WiFi on other devices? Hooking your TV to your modem or router via Ethernet won’t change anything like that’s. Is your modem and router right next to the TV?

0 Kudos
ally17

Hi I have the exact same issue with all 3 of my roku streamers in my house, suddenly stopping to connect (even with excellent WiFi connection and all devices connecting in house) I’m seeing here about routers etc but very lost with all this   Please help someone as need my TV’s in bedrooms as only work via Roku as no antenna Arial in rooms as old house.  Thanks 🙏 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Thefork15 

Need a little more info here.  Namely, the Roku model numbers affected (Settings/System/About), your router model number, and your ISP (internet service provider).

-----

@melissa9562 

The RokuTV is dual band so should be able to connect to either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band.  Depending on your ISP (internet service provider) and your router, their settings may have to be configured so that each band is available. (will provide recommended settings at end of posting).

Some RokuTVs also have an ethernet port so you can use ethernet rather than wireless (wifi) connection.  To test if there is an internal failure with the wireless capability of your Roku TV, navigate to Settings/Systems/About and see if have an "IP address" and "Wireless MAC address" showing.  If the wireless mac address is showing all zeros (00:00:00:00:00:00), then there is a hardware issue occuring and will have to addressed by the TV manufacturer re: any warranties.

Using ethernet (as you did), is a good way to bypass any wireless issues on a device or a network setup.  If you have a combined modem/router (1 unit), then you will want to connect your main ethernet cable to the WAN port to provide your entire network internet access.  You need to connect any peripheral devices (like your RokuTV) via the LAN ports on your router. (normally these are a different color, namely yellow or orange).

Restart your router after making the above changes and you should have internet restored back to your network and your RokuTV should now have an ethernet (wired) connection.

If your RokuTV is out of warranty and you are good with this solution, then you are good to go.

Recommended default settings for router setup (tweak as necessary after successful connection)

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels. Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.

* Restart both your Router and your Roku after making above changes.

5.0 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to N/AC
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz or 20/40 mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 36-48 (low frequency band) or 149-161 (high frequency band). Roku cannot see or use channels 52-140 (DFS Channels) which an Auto Setting may be choosing. If your router allows you to Disable DFS Channels, then an Auto Setting may be used after successful troubleshooting.

Restart both your Router and Roku devices(s) after making the above changes.

-------

@ally17 

Same as above regarding needing more info re: Roku model device numbers, router model number, and ISP (internet provider).  Additionally any error messages you are seeing on screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102