Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thefork15

Not connecting to wireless

My ROKU device randomly stopped connecting to my wifi last week. I have internet, it’s working on all other devices and my smart tv. Regardless of that, I reset my router, and ROKU. I unplugged both and plugged them back in. I went into the menus I look for my wireless device- it still won’t find it. I’m literally 3 feet from the router (not evens full 3 feet). I’m extremely frustrated, I’ve had this too 4 years and have not had an issue until now. I can’t get ahold of ROKU and all of the articles keep telling me I restart everything and reconnect. Well I did that 10 times and I’m starting to get really annoyed. Does anyone have any advice?

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Not connecting to wireless

Starting with some basics:  Some lower end or older Rokus only run on 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, and they need the modes set to b/g/n.  However, some ISPs recently sent updated firmware to their routers that ended up disabling the 2.4GHz entirely or setting it to g/n modes only.  So login into your router and check that it is broadcasting 2.4GHz and in modes b/g/n.

I've had to fix this twice at my parents because their printer only works on 2.4GHz.

If that doesn't work, telling us more, such as the Roku model number, would help.

melissa9562
Channel Surfer

MINE IS DOING THE SAME THING.  Very frustrating, Ive been resetting it for days now.

0 Kudos
melissa9562
Channel Surfer

Please explain how to do this "login into your router and check that it is broadcasting 2.4GHz and in modes b/g/n"

My Roku Model Number is: C102X

Ive only had my TV for maybe 13 months, I lost my receipt so I cannot return it. SO FRUSTRATING

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

You can enter the IP address of the router in the URL bar in your browser.  It sounds like you've never changed the password, so your login credentials will likely be "admin" and "password" (yes – really – that's common!)  Alternately, sometimes a different password is printed right on the router itself.  You may want to visit the help pages for your ISP for info about your router.

melissa9562
Channel Surfer

I should tell you, the TV wont find any wifi networks.  Usually I can see the neighbors wifi, but its not there. 

I figured it out and got logged in to the wifi.  It looks like 2.4 is enabled and the mode is 802.11 g,n

5.0 is enabled as well and the mode is 802.11 a,n,ac

Do you think this is the problem?

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Many here have said that changing the 2.4GHz from g/n to b/g/n fixed their problem.  (I'm assuming you're using the 2.4GHz for the Roku connection.) Hopefully you can change this yourself but I have heard of a few cases where the ISP wasn't letting customers do that.

0 Kudos
melissa9562
Channel Surfer

It says No networks found.  and everything else in my house is connected and working fine.  Are you aware of an issue with the TV not even finding a network?

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

To be honest I know very little about Roku TVs and the page I use as my reference for what Rokus have what features is woefully lacking on TV models.  As such, I don't know whether your TV should have 5GHz or not.

Hopefully someone with more TV knowledge will come along. 

Streamer317
Roku Guru

@melissa9562  Roku doesn’t make TV’s. They simply sell the software to manufacturers such as TCL, Hisense and Sharp. Your TV is dual band unlike the Roku express this person is speaking of. I own 3 TCL Roku TV’s. The can function on the 2.4GHz or the 5.0GHz. You can ask your TV manufacturer. How old is the TV? Who manufactured it? Did you try doing a factory reset on it? Did you try the Ethernet port? Did you try both the 2.4GHz and the 5.0GHz? When you go into Settings/ Network/ About what does it say? Did you run a check connection test? If your TV cannot pickup a WiFi signal and the Ethernet port also fails to give you a connection then maybe the NIC in your TV is no good. Have you rebooted your modem and router? what steps have you taken to try to diagnose this?

0 Kudos