Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aqualoon
Level 7

Not connecting to local network?

Running into this issue with the new streaming stick my parents bought.  

ST1 = New Streaming stick parents just bought
RB = Roku Box that they've had for years
ST2 = My Streaming stick that is currently working just fine at my house.

RB works great, they wanted to have Roku in their room so they bought ST1.  ST1 connects to the wireless but fails at connecting to the local network.  I brought home ST1 and it worked just fine at my house.  I updated ST1 for them on my TV at my house and then brought ST1 and ST2 over to their house, figuring whichever one I could get working they could have and I'd take home the other.  Both ST1 and ST2 failed to connect to their local network.  RB connects just fine and plays how it should.

Thoughts on what's going on?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Not connecting to local network?

Two possible issues (not saying there might be more). When the Stick is plugged directly into the TV, there can be interference from the TV that impacts the wireless connection. The solution is to get the free cable extender from Roku to allow the stick to be further away from the TV. The other issue is wireless interference. Most home wireless connections are in the 2.4 GHz band, which has a lot of competition for the space. You can try changing the channel the router uses, as that sometimes helps. The best solution is to use the wireless 5 GHz band. The Roku Stick supports that band, and I find it works significantly better in my home, even when the same router is providing both 2.4 and 5 GHz. 
Don't forget that overall wireless signal strength could also be a factor, so re-positioning the router could help. Sometimes just rotating the router can change the broadcast pattern enough to make a difference. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dmonn
Level 7

I've got a slightly different issue. I have a 3900x Roku Express and when I try to find available networks it doesn't show my 5 GHz network -- only the 2.4. What's up?

Don
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

"dmonn" wrote:
I've got a slightly different issue. I have a 3900x Roku Express and when I try to find available networks it doesn't show my 5 GHz network -- only the 2.4. What's up?

Don

The express doesn't have a dual band radio according to specs. So 2.4 only.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison
0 Kudos