Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scalhoun
Level 7

Not Connecting to the internet.

I have tried everything on the website and my Roku will not connect to the internet.  My WIFI is strong and my computer is working fine along with other devices.  It was working fine up to last Wednesday.  I have rebooted the wifi and restarted the Roku.  I went to factory reset and now I am stuck on trying to connect to wifi.  I have the roku express and only have had it for about 9 months.  Was happy until this started happening.  Frustrated I cannot call and talk to someone.  Not sure what to do other than get rid of this and go back to comcast.  At least I could have a conversation and they would fix the issue.  Maybe my roku is defective and needs replacing. How do I go about this?  

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Not Connecting to the internet.

If you have Comcast/Xfinity or Cox as your ISP ensure your wireless mode is set to b/g/n and not g/n. For Comcast/Xfinity:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Shanna
Level 7

Same here.. did u get help?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Shanna 

Have u tried going to the link posted by @renojim and make the necessary changes via app or router admin instructions?

This issue was caused by an Xfinity/Comcast router firmware update and you need to make these changes for the Roku to again see your router.

If still having problems, feel free to post back with your Roku model number, your router model number, and your ISP if the above is not applicable to you.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos
Orion15535
Level 7

It is probably not your roku. Ever since the updates both of my roku's keeping dropping wifi and I spend hours trying everything to fix. It is now everyday and sometimes I fo days with out. Customer service is nonexistent since no one to talk to and they don't respond.  This is a software issue. Right now roku is a negative 3 stars for me and I'm looking to change something else. Any suggestions. 

0 Kudos
MinnieMouse38
Level 7

I’m having the exact same issue at first it was only with Hulu now it’s with anything I watch and it continuously tells me no Internet connection but yet my work computer works my personal computer works my iPad works my phone works I don’t understand what’s going on but it’s happening on the one in my bedroom which is less than 20 feet from the router and modem and it’s happening on my living room Hisence TV with the Roku built into it

0 Kudos
Orion15535
Level 7

I returned my modem to Xfinity and bought a new one at Walmart on sale. This will save rental fees. I then went back to my old ruko that is hard wired without the update and it has been working ever since. Not sure If it was the new different modem with different software or that I went back to hardwire ruko instead of wifi. What ever update they did way back it messed everything up on my end. 

0 Kudos
MinnieMouse38
Level 7

I can’t do that because this is my first Roku and I’m not charged any fees for my router and modem so I don’t wanna go buy my own if I’m not having to pay a rental fee

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@MinnieMouse38 

If you are having problems with both your Roku devices (Roku device and RokuTV), it is likely you are going to have to login to your router or use the Xfinity app and verify/make some changes to your network setup.

Following the instructions to login to your router at (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi), and navigate to Gateway..Connection..Wifi.

From there, make these changes in both your 2.4ghz and your 5ghz configurations. (Select Edit for the appropriate band)

2.4ghz --> Radio On/Enabled, SSID Broadcasting, Mode set to b/g/n, Channel (use 1, 6 , or 11 rather than Auto), Channel Bandwidth/Width set to 20mhz

5ghz --> Radio On/Enabled, SSID Broadcasting, Mode set to n/AC (mixed), Channel (use either 36-48, or 149-161 rather than Auto), Channel Bandwidth/Width set to 20mhz. 

Regarding Xfinity, you are going to have to change the Mode to b/g/n or your 2.4ghz Roku device will not be able to communicate with router.   For the 5ghz, when you leave your Channel setting to Auto, there is a chance the router will select a DFS channel of 52-140 which is not compatible with Roku.

Feel free to post an update or if you need more help with these settings. Post back your roku models as well as your router model number.

@Orion15535 

Ethernet is the better way to go when practical because it bypasses any wifi settings.  Appears that the router firmware is simply mishandling the speed protocol of the Roku as g/n settings should technically work (as reflected by other routers being able to stream Roku with these settings as many networks disable legacy b support)  Certainly does not hurt the average home network to leave b enabled.  To date, still haven't seen Xfinity recognize this and post an update.  Xfinity forums just point users to the Roku Community forum.  

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos
WenA
Level 7

I'm having same issues. I had to upgrade to the Roku Express and when trying to set up the device, I can get connected to the WiFi but not the Internet. I have restarted my Roku device and my router.  All other devices are working in my home and I contacted the Internet Provider and they said if all other devices are working, it's likely the device.  Nowhere can I find a place to contact anyone and actually talk to a person about this device. I'm about ready to reinstall my old device!! 

0 Kudos