Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Benteke30
Level 7

No password given in dorm wireless connection

I am using a guest network at a college so i am trying to set up the hotel and dorm connect, on screen that tells you to use a phone to connect to a network such as DIRECT-roku-851-2AACC6, the next line in the popup is supposed to give a password to connect to this network, but my screen only says “3. Enter Password: “, and gives no password.  A password has shown one random time a few days ago, never again.

11 REPLIES 11\
deakle23
Level 7

Re: No password given in dorm wireless connection

did you get it fixed im in a hotel having same issue no password 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Benteke30 @deakle23

Thanks for the posts.

For clarification, have your Roku devices already been activated? The Hotel & Dorm Connect feature will only work once your device has been activated. For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting your Roku device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are able to connect?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Kpopcat
Level 7

I've tried all that still not working

RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @Kpopcat

Thanks for posting here in the Community.

Could you tell us first specifically about the issue you're running into? Please also provide us the serial number of the affected Roku player. It can be located by navigating to Settings > System > About.

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Btetrault
Level 7

I have this same issue and the device has been activated. It’s never showed a password when trying to connect via hotel or dorm. 

0 Kudos
Wootton
Level 9

Good luck.

I have a 4620x Premiere / YT001W632079 / 7J969163209 / 10.0.0.0 build 4209-29

I have the EXACT same problem as you.

9/10 times I click on connect to wifi in this hotel it goes green for wifi and then green for internet (wrong)

1/10 times  i click on connect to wifi and it goes green for wifi - then pops up the menu asking if I am in a hotel or a room.  I click that I'm in a hotel/dorm.

A banner pops up on the screen, and on the banner it tells me the name of the roku's wifi and the password.

I then try to connect to that but within 2-4 seconds the banner disappears.  I used my phone to record that screen so that I could copy/paste the password and used my laptop to try to connect to that wifi name - but it is closed at the same time as the banner.  So I tried again and I can see the wifi become available and then disappear in 2-4 seconds as well.

this is a software problem. This problem was introduced ~2 years ago.

The problem is that whatever logic the roku is doing to determin if it has internet connectivity is wrong. It mistakes the captive login of the hotel as data or it has a some sort of dns check - what ever it is checking it falsely thinks it is connected to the internet. because it thinks it is connected to the internet it closes the banner for hotel/dorm connections and shutsdown the configuration wifi and stays connected to the hotel wifi address. If you then do an internet check from the roku it fails - because you didn't login yet.

I have gone through the facebook live support. They pointed me at the roku support. That claims my product is no longer supported and points me here to this forum.

I have done the network reset

I have done a factory reset

I have done a software update (latest available version is installed)

Do a search for this problem and you can find 10 exactly the same threads going back 2 years with exactly the same "help" - use the roku guide (doesn't work because the thing times out in 2-4 seconds, hot spot from your phone, ask the hotel to whitelist your roku's MAC address, buy a travel router and plug it into the hotel's ethernet (if it had it great)....   these aren't solutions they are work arounds to a problem that is easily solved.

The thing is this is a known problem. I'm trying to get the bug id of this so at least someone can track it and say whether it will ever get fixed.

Good luck- I hope one of us finds a solution.... I'm just very frustrated that the device I brought for travel and has a travel function (dorm/hotel captive login dialog) doesn't work.

I'm frustrated further because this is an old problem that was introduced into the software 2 years ago that has a simple solution - add a menu option to trigger the hotel/dorm configuration manually and manually close it.  The roku is trying to be too smart and do this automatically - it's failing because the test is wrong and so the functionality we need to access is blocked.

Joel1
Level 7

Same here, I follow the instructions and can connect to the Roku but from there when I launch a browser.... Nothing happens. No option to enter a hotel password nothing. What a terrible set of instructions from this tech company. 

Once you open a browser I'm assuming a website is SUPPOSED to op up to prompt you to enter the hotel wifi password. But nothing on my end. Connects fine to normal wifi.  

Any ideas??

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Joel1

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RobertSimmons
Level 7

I am having this same issue, my roku tv is set up and registered but I still receive no password for the hotel and dorm connect.

Roku Tv: 8310X

Onn.model: 100012589

Serial number: YK003H029321

0 Kudos