Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
horstsnow
Level 8

No connection and additional fees?

Jump to solution

I too am having connection issues. An access point is checked,  but I get a red X for internet access. Over and over. I've tried different HDMI ports, turning off, unplugging everything and restarting to no avail. 

I'm a first time Roku user, but generally know my way around tech. I got on a chat with a Roku tech. He then phones me and says for $29.95 they can push through an update to my Streaming Plus 3810X so that I will be gloriously happy. Wait! I just paid 50 bucks for this, why am I being asked to cough up >50% for something I should have had to start with?

I'm on a LG 50UN7300PUF Tv, 

What is going on? How do I fix it?

Thank you. Horst

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
horstsnow
Level 8

Re: No connection and additional fees?

Jump to solution

Blam! 

I'm in.  Much thanks again to Makaiguy for your attention and help. Indeed once I hooked up a router. Things stopped going sideways. Roku is installed, and there is bright shiny shows all over the place.

Thank you again. Horst

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Jump to solution

RE THE BOGUS CHARGE

You were talking to someone you found via a web search for "Roku support", or something similar, right?  Any site you go to that is not located on roku.com is NOT Roku.  There are a bunch of scammers out there claiming to be Roku and charging for support, registrations, subscriptions, or other bogus services.   Plus once they've got your charge information you've opened up the gates for future charges from this guy plus anybody else he sells your info to.  

If you paid them anything or even gave them your charge information, keep a close eye on your charges and contest any bogus charges that come through immediately.  A good scammer can call his charge anything he wants so don't assume that it is from Roku just because the charge descriptions says so.  Your bank will be able to trace the charge back to whoever was actually collecting the money.

RE YOUR NET CONNECTION:

See if this helps - it has worked for me numerous times:

1) Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting).

2) After the router comes back up, restart the Roku via Settings > System > System restart (for a Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart) to start with a clean slate.

3) Reconnect to your network via Settings > Network > Set up connection.

If it still doesn't give a good connection, go to Settings > System >Advanced system settings > Network connection reset to clear out all stored network info.  Then repeat steps 2 and 3 above.  (Actually probably just 3 will do, but as long as you're there ...)

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
horstsnow
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks Makai, 
I turned everything off. My modem, my TV, even took the batteries out of the Roku remote. Turned on my modem. I dont have a router at the moment. I go to hdmi 1 and the first thing I get is Choose your network. I do so. I tell Roku I'm at home not in a dorm. Green check. Still getting a red Xross for connecting to the internet. I've tried running a cable from my modem to my TV (ADSL) it connects fine, as it does wireless. As far as Roku is concerned, I get nothing. The brochure indicates I should get “Let’s get started. I never get this.
Is it my lack of router? Bad karma?

H

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

Jump to solution

I'm a bit confused.  You say you have no router, but your tv can connect wirelessly? 

What model Roku are we talking about?  Of current models, only the Ultra has an Ethernet port; all others can only connect via wifi.

0 Kudos
horstsnow
Level 8

Jump to solution

**bleep**! I left information out. I'm using a Motorola Docsis 3.1. MB8600 Modem. Xfinity is my provider.
Roku 3810X Roku Streaming Stick +

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

Jump to solution

@horstsnow wrote:

**bleep**! I left information out. I'm using a Motorola Docsis 3.1. MB8600 Modem. Xfinity is my provider.
Roku 3810X Roku Streaming Stick +

You are able to see the Roku user interface via the HDMI connection to the TV, but the Roku cannot receive any programming for you to view without a WiFi net connection.

Your MB8600 cable modem is a modem only, it does not include a wifi router.  Roku streaming sticks can ONLY connect to your home network via WiFi as they have no Ethernet port. With no wifi router, you have no wifi network to connect to.

Possibly any networks your Roku is detecting are wifi networks from your neighbors but is unable to connect to them.

0 Kudos
horstsnow
Level 8

Jump to solution

OK. I need a router.

My laptops get a connection. So they see the built-in wifi of the modem? I don't quite understand. However, anticipating there might be a solution here, I went out and purchased a router tp-link AC1750.

I shall report back.

H

0 Kudos
horstsnow
Level 8

Jump to solution

Blam! 

I'm in.  Much thanks again to Makaiguy for your attention and help. Indeed once I hooked up a router. Things stopped going sideways. Roku is installed, and there is bright shiny shows all over the place.

Thank you again. Horst

View solution in original post

0 Kudos