Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
btegu
Level 8

No Wifi6 on 2020 Roku?

Was waiting for a new device to get wifi6 / 802.11ax and wpa3. Disappointed.  Made an account just to say that.

Any plans for this? or possibly via update?

15 Replies
andyross
Level 16

Re: No Wifi6 on 2020 Roku?

For streaming, it would not make much difference. Same reason it still doesn't have Gigabit Ethernet.

I doubt it would be any form of upgrade. AX probably would require a different chipset that may not be available without having to increase the price.

boogernose
Level 18

Roku's dont need much bandwidth.

As @andyross said it simply wouldnt improve anything

and would probably open a can of worms.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
nekotome
Level 7

They probably designed it before the chipset was standard in new edge devices this year.  But as an actual IT professional I have to disagree with the others, 802.11ax is not just about the roku's bandwidth usage, it fixes a lot of protocol issues related to having multiple edge devices on the same network and having one device lagging behind means an end user still has to support it without the full upgrade available from ax.

cvwlc
Level 7

Hi. Requesting help as a non-technical person. We just got wifi6 because that's what Verizon gave us but now our Roku is not working. The Roku's a couple of years old so I thought we might just need to get an upgraded version but I didn't realize how complicated figuring out just which version that is would be; and, Roku doesn't offer a support chat or telephone number to call? (Roku, you really should!) I looked on the router and there is no switch to choose between 5ghz and 2.4ghz. The technician did mention that the router somehow marries the two? Again, I'm not technical. Does Roku offer a wifi6 compatible device? Would love to watch the subscriptions we pay for like Amazon prime etc. on the tv instead of our laptops. Thank you for reading and any help you can offer!

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

No current Roku device has Wi-Fi 6 and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't for a long time coming.  I would ask Verizon why their router that's supposed to be compatible with Wi-Fi 4 and 5 isn't working properly.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
btegu
Level 8

@nekotome wrote:

They probably designed it before the chipset was standard in new edge devices this year.  But as an actual IT professional I have to disagree with the others, 802.11ax is not just about the roku's bandwidth usage, it fixes a lot of protocol issues related to having multiple edge devices on the same network and having one device lagging behind means an end user still has to support it without the full upgrade available from ax.

Exactly my reasoning. I'm in a position to upgrade all the devices for my home network at the same time, all will be wifi6 and wpa3 to get the full benefit of updated security and efficiency across the whole network.  Wifi 6 devices are backwards compatible for those with old or mixed networks so why not include it. Looks like ps5 is my best bet for now. https://www.psu.com/news/how-fast-is-ps5-wi-fi-heres-why-wi-fi-6-for-ps5-is-a-big-deal/ 

"With Wi-Fi 6 however, it not only actively allows Wi-Fi 6 compliant routers to communicate with more devices on the network at the same time, but also block together data for more efficient transmission too.

What this means for PS5 gamers, is that when an increasing number of devices are attached to a Wi-Fi 6 compliant network, the drop in network speed when downloading content or playing games should be greatly reduced compared to what we see now on PS4 and PS4 Pro." 

I'd add streaming to that list as well.

atc98092

@cvwlc wrote:

Hi. Requesting help as a non-technical person. We just got wifi6 because that's what Verizon gave us but now our Roku is not working. The Roku's a couple of years old so I thought we might just need to get an upgraded version but I didn't realize how complicated figuring out just which version that is would be; and, Roku doesn't offer a support chat or telephone number to call? (Roku, you really should!) I looked on the router and there is no switch to choose between 5ghz and 2.4ghz. The technician did mention that the router somehow marries the two? Again, I'm not technical. Does Roku offer a wifi6 compatible device? Would love to watch the subscriptions we pay for like Amazon prime etc. on the tv instead of our laptops. Thank you for reading and any help you can offer!

As mentioned, there is no WiFi 6 availability on Roku devices. What you might do is see if your router allows different SSIDs (that's the name they broadcast) on the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios. Also, it's possible that the 5 GHz radio is using what they call a DFS channel, and Roku devices will not use those channels. So for 5 GHz, a Roku will only connect to channel 48 or below, or channel 149 or higher. But that has no impact on 2.4 Ghz operation. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Masterchowd
Level 8

I have 4 Streaming Stick +'s. When Roku offers a streaming stick in WiFi 6, I will replace all 4 simultaneously. That will speed-up my home internet tremendously!! Won't even have to call my cable company to get faster service. I'd rather pay Roku (1-time fee) than my ISP (monthly fee)!!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

@Masterchowd wrote:

I have 4 Streaming Stick +'s. When Roku offers a streaming stick in WiFi 6, I will replace all 4 simultaneously. That will speed-up my home internet tremendously!! Won't even have to call my cable company to get faster service. I'd rather pay Roku (1-time fee) than my ISP (monthly fee)!!

It likely isnt just WiFi 6 that you want, but rather WiFi 6E, especially for dense (apartments, tightly packed subdivisions) and many-device usage scenarios, the additional 14 80Mhz/7 160Mhz channels in the (relatively clear) 6Ghz spectrum will make a big difference, especially for first movers.

Considering new WiFi spectrum doesn't come along very often, and wont for a while again yet, if you are waiting to move to WiFi 6, wait long enough for 6E products.

That being said, replacing client devices with WiFi6/6E-capable ones without a WiFi6/6E capable modem/router/gateway/AP, isnt going to gain you any net advantage - you'll need to replace your modem/router/gateway/AP with one that support WiFi6/6E to get any real benefit.

And while you may not have to call your ISP to upgrade your service, you will have to call them to get an updated modem/router/gateway that supports WiFi6/6E, assuming you use their provided device and not your own (and depending, their may be a fee for that).  And if you dont use their device, you'll need to obtain your own (additional purchase).

Don't forget that your streaming devices arent streaming to each other in some sort of P2P streaming scenario, but rather from content servers on the internet - and all of it goes through your WAN/internet connection - the more devices you use/use simultaneously and the faster they are, the more demand that puts on the modem/router/gateway and WAN/internet connection, so you might end up having to call your ISP to both get a new modem/gateway/router and to increase your speeds (download/upload).

StreamerUser

0 Kudos