Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

No Wifi6 on 2020 Roku?

Was waiting for a new device to get wifi6 / 802.11ax and wpa3. Disappointed.  Made an account just to say that.

Any plans for this? or possibly via update?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 15

Re: No Wifi6 on 2020 Roku?

For streaming, it would not make much difference. Same reason it still doesn't have Gigabit Ethernet.

I doubt it would be any form of upgrade. AX probably would require a different chipset that may not be available without having to increase the price.

Highlighted
Level 17

Roku's dont need much bandwidth.

As @andyross said it simply wouldnt improve anything

and would probably open a can of worms.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

They probably designed it before the chipset was standard in new edge devices this year.  But as an actual IT professional I have to disagree with the others, 802.11ax is not just about the roku's bandwidth usage, it fixes a lot of protocol issues related to having multiple edge devices on the same network and having one device lagging behind means an end user still has to support it without the full upgrade available from ax.

Highlighted
Level 1

Hi. Requesting help as a non-technical person. We just got wifi6 because that's what Verizon gave us but now our Roku is not working. The Roku's a couple of years old so I thought we might just need to get an upgraded version but I didn't realize how complicated figuring out just which version that is would be; and, Roku doesn't offer a support chat or telephone number to call? (Roku, you really should!) I looked on the router and there is no switch to choose between 5ghz and 2.4ghz. The technician did mention that the router somehow marries the two? Again, I'm not technical. Does Roku offer a wifi6 compatible device? Would love to watch the subscriptions we pay for like Amazon prime etc. on the tv instead of our laptops. Thank you for reading and any help you can offer!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

No current Roku device has Wi-Fi 6 and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't for a long time coming.  I would ask Verizon why their router that's supposed to be compatible with Wi-Fi 4 and 5 isn't working properly.

0 Kudos