Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Firehazardrav
Level 8

No Remote Switch to new network?

Solved!!!

If you need to change networks on your roku tv and you DO NOT HAVE A REMOTE!!!! READ ON!

You can still connect!!

Hoping this helps anyone else that stumbles on here in the search results - I sifted on here for hours before I came upon the solution on my own. These remotes are the singular cause of my entertainment related anguish. If this helps even one person I'll be satisfied. 

1. RENAME YOUR MOBILE HOTSPOT TO THE LAST KNOWN NETWORK YOU CONNECTED TO

2. SET THE MOBILE HOTSPOT PASSWORD AS THE SAME PASSWORD TOO

(The TV should automatically reconnect! YOU may have to restart your TV. I did not)

3. USE A SECOND PHONE WITH ROKU APP INSTALLED AND CONNECT TO THE SAME MOBILE HOTSPOT.

4. NOW YOU CAN CHANGE THE NETWORK OR USE THE REMOTE

YAAAAAAAY! ❤❤❤

1 Reply
AvsGunnar
Level 10

Re: No Remote Switch to new network?

Yessir, this works when you move to a new location or bring your device somewhere and do no have the physical remote but you do have the mobile app. (and can remember your last network login credentials - SSID network name and password).  Essentially, the Roku device has to have already been setup and connected to a network.  Similar procedure can be used with a new router by assigning your old credentials in the admin settings to ease reconnections of all wireless devices in a network with saved settings.

Unfortunately, this method will not work for a brand new device or one that has been factory reset. (at least not yet).  As such, still need a physical remote in those situations.

But very good tip and reminder.  Nice job!

0 Kudos