Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Internet Connection

Did you try to select "Restart your device"?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

i have a brand new device and it will connect for only a couple seconds

not long enough to set it up or anything. i literally can’t do anything with the device bc of this. everything else connects to the wifi just fine. phone, laptop, ipad. everything. old roku. just not this new one. what a waste

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

My Roku is having the same problem. It says it is connected and signal strength is excellent, but when we choose any of our channels to watch (YouTube TV, others) we get the hourglass and then a purple screen that says this channel is not available try again later. This happens with all channels.  All of our other Roku devices are working.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

the infamous 014.30

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi,

same issue here. The error comes up as NW-2-5

Help would be appreciated thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I fixed mine.  Finally went to providers website and looked up my wifi password.  I have NOT changed it in several years, but somehow one letter in the middle was dropped.  I went back to Roku device logged in with the password missing the one letter and everything worked.

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: No Internet Connection on device

My Express just stopped connecting 2 days ago. I have followed EVERY SINGLE STEP given in troubleshooting articles. Restart router (unplug, reset), restart Roku (same), checked connections, changed HDMI cables AND ports, Roku’s plugged direct in the outlet (wasn’t before). Ive had the same password for years! EVERYTHING else that CAN work on wifi, DOES work on wifi! W.T.H.??? Do they eventually just get old and stop working? Should I get a new one?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

If you are still experiencing issues after trying all the suggestions everyone has made it is possible your device is failing.  Electrical surges/spikes can affect electronic devices but not show up for a while and become more of an issue with the age of the device and the # of times it's been affected by a surge.  Even the best surge arrestors cannot help in the case of lightning strikes nearby.  I know, I live in the Tampa Bay area, the lightning capital (hockey and other!) of the US.

All I can say is that my Roku's have been very stable for a period of time now since the last Roku update.  I had some periodic buffering issues on YTTV but based on my wifi network stats it appeared to be an issue with one of their updates.  Keep in mind this could be an issue for some as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Bout2Loozit 

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:
- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi, I'm having the same problem on my Roku TV (a Sharp LC-32LB481C) Wireless connects fine, but no internet access.

I've tried factory-resetting the TV, the router, tried different WiFi frequencies (2.4 and 5 GHz), tried renaming the network and changing the password, power cycled the TV several times, rebooted when prompted several times.

On the router side, I've tried using Cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1), Google DNS (8.8.8.8), my ISP's DNS, and my usual Pi-hole DNS setup. Interestingly, the Pi-Hole which has it's DNS query log shows that the Roku TV is requesting a bunch of websites which aren't being blocked and resolve just fine:

liberty.sb.roku.com
scribe.logs.roku.com
api.rokutime.com
netflix.com
captive.roku.com

Weirdly, on a whim I tried setting up my android phone as a WiFi hotspot and the TV was able to connect through that, which might indicate it's a problem with my router, except that A) everything else works just fine on this router, wired and wireless, 2.4 and 5 GHz, and B) the TV worked perfectly fine for about a month on this router, and several years on different other routers.

The TV is running Roku 9.3.0, but I'm not sure when it updated to that.

0 Kudos