Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tuna33
Level 7

New wireless router and established/connected Roku units

I just bought a new wireless router, hoping to get better performance.  I will replace the old router soon.  Will I simply be able to access each Roku via onscreen settings and change the wireless router's information there, or am I going to have to do a reset (small button on Roku) for each unit and go through the setup routine?  I don't care how much work is involved -- I hope to have a bullet-proof installation of the new router and Roku units. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
mikebdoss
Level 8

Re: New wireless router and established/connected Roku units

"tuna33" wrote:
I just bought a new wireless router, hoping to get better performance.  I will replace the old router soon.  Will I simply be able to access each Roku via onscreen settings and change the wireless router's information there, or am I going to have to do a reset (small button on Roku) for each unit and go through the setup routine?  I don't care how much work is involved -- I hope to have a bullet-proof installation of the new router and Roku units. 

If you set up your new router with the same name/password as your old one, you probably won't have to do anything to any of your devices - they'll just connect automatically. That's what I've always done. 
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"tuna33" wrote:

You should have no problem. A reset won't be necessary. 

If you use the same SSID and password, as mikebdoss suggested, it'll be seamless. But, if you choose to use the SSID/password that is pre-defined on your new router, or otherwise have a different SSID/password, you shouldn't have any issue.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
tuna33
Level 7

Thanks.  As soon as I read though my new router's user's guide, I'll install it.
0 Kudos