Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spregan68
Level 7

New router

I just replaced my router after having it for years. But now I can’t get my Roku Streaming Stick or ROKU player connected. I use my iPhone as the remote so when trying to connect the ROKU I cannot get it on the same network. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: New router

The Roku app on a phone or tablet can only connect to a Roku that is already set up and connected to the same network the phone or tablet is on. That means it can't be used to connect and do anything with a Roku not yet set up on your current network.

Meanwhile, your Roku is still trying to connect to your former network name (SSID) with your former network's password. If you can configure your network router to use the same SSID and password as you had before, your Roku should connect to it. Connect your phone or tablet to that same network and you should be able to control your Roku with the Roku app again.

Otherwise, you'll need to have a remote compatible with your Roku model to set up your connection to the new network/password. Note that all units other than Roku sticks will respond to infrared (IR) commands so any cheap universal remote you find at Walmart or a dollar store that says it is compatible with Roku will work. For Roku sticks, see https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/streaming-stick#Remotes or search on Ebay or Amazon for a remote for your Roku model number.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi