Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sydney1104
Level 7

New modem and no rokus connect

I just setup a new modem, Motorola MG7550.  Now none of my Rokus will connect.  I have factory reset them all.  Some will go through the connection screen and ask if I am home or at a hotel and then just keep rebooting.  Some will get past this screen and then fail to update software at the next screen.  I have tried disabling all security on the modem since I have heard there was issues with the AES security.  That did not work.  Is there some sort of modem setting that would fix this issue??  I feel like I have tried everything.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: New modem and no rokus connect

One thing to try before spending money is to determine what channel the modem is using for the 5 GHz band. If it's on auto, try changing it to 149. There's a group of channels in the 5 GHz band that Rokus will not connect to. Another thing to try is connecting to the 2.4 GHz band. The easiest way to do this is to name the two bands differently. That way you can be sure which one you're connecting to. 
All else fails you can but a second router and put it an Access Point mode (most, but not all routers support this. You then have to set a static IP address to the router, give the wireless bands different names than the Motorola uses, and connect your Roku to them. I have separate routers in my home to increase coverage, so there's no issue having more than one on your network. But only one box can be in router mode, for assigning IP addresses.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

So you can find your network during set up, but it won't connect? 
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
sydney1104
Level 7

So just an update for a FYI.  I called my cable provider and because it was a new modem they restricted certain features until I registered the modem with them.  Unbelievable.  No one told me this initially and its a little concerning that they can just put restrictions on my personally owned modem.  They lifted restrictions, I "registered" it online, and all works good.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

What service?

This could possibly occur again with others using the same ISP, and if we knew of a particular service that did this, we could direct their attention to this fact early on and save them the delay you experienced before discovering they were doing that to you.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Unbelievable is right. If you purchased (not leased) the modem, they have no business controlling any function outside of its connection to their network. Something like that never occurred to me,. Glad you found the issue and thanks for letting everyone here know. I agree with Basil, what provider is that?
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RAIST5150
Level 7

Hmm... that is really odd indeed. In our market (formerly TWC, now Spectrum), when an unregistered modem is detected on the line, it redirects to a page prompting you with ways to contact them to register it. It won't let you go anywhere online until you do that.
0 Kudos