Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New mesh wifi router. I cannot connect my Roku Express. Help please

I have entered the correct wifi password, reset my device, reset the router, factory reset my Roku and it will not connect to my wifi. I have other devices and no issues there.

15 REPLIES 15
boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: New mesh wifi router. I cannot connect my Roku Express. Help please

probably a screwy password. Can you create a new simpler one?

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@tbuckhunter 

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:
- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express/Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ms01453

I also have a new tri-band mesh router/2  Satellites. Neither of my Roku devices will connect to my wireless network. I have also tried enabling network ping and reset but still no success. All other devices in my home will connect. Nothing from Roku online support has helped. What do you do next?????????????

0 Kudos
Jmar72
Reel Rookie

Add me to the list.

Just upgraded the home wifi to a set of TP-Link Deco M9 mesh wifi devices.  Every other device was swung over to the new network without issue but the Roku's are acting super flakey and some won't even connect.

Yes, 2.4 GHz is on

Yes, signal strength is excellent

Yes, I know it isn't a bad Roku HW (connects to hotspot on my phone just fine)

Yes, I have latest software (updated when connected to my phone hotspot)

Yes, I have rebooted everything.

Yes, I turned off every advanced feature on the Deco.

Yes, I even disabled the password on the wifi for testing and still get the 14.30 error consistently on the Roku TV and one of the Express devices. 

Weird thing is the older Premier connected the first time and has been stable the whole time.  Its just the newer devices.  Guess it is a software bug.  But seems like this has been going on awhile, maybe time to give up on Roku and move to someone who makes a working product that supports modern wifi.  Any suggestions?

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Jmar72 

My ISP wants to send me the Deco M9 as a free upgrade but I opted out to keep my old Archer.  I will look into the settings a bit for you to see if anything jumps out. I believe this is a tri-band router.

What channels are you currently set to for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz?

On the Roku devices themselves, have you tried to Reset Network Connections under Settings?

(Settings..System, Advanced System...Network Connection Reset, Reset Connection)

If the Premiere is connecting, then the 2.4ghz is likely configured properly.  What are the Roku models that are not connecting?  Is the Premiere 3920/3921 or another model number?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Jmar72
Reel Rookie

Yes, I did forget to mention that I did do the reset network connection option a couple times.

The Deco management  app doesn't let you select channels.  There have been asks for over a year to get that added to the app.

But a quick look at my wifi sniffer app shows the 2.4ghz network currently running on channel 2.

The non working devices are a brand new Roku Express and a TCL Roku TV.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Jmar72 

Ok, I will look at the literature on this router.  The Express devices can be a bit finicky, but the RokuTV should be able to connect to the 2.4ghz band easily.  Preferably, for testing, it would be nice to set the 2.4ghz to either channels 1, 6, or 11, but if you stuck with ch.2, it is what it is.

Let's see what the Premiere is interpreting as its signal strength in the meantime. (May tell us what the Roku is interpreting as network strength with this router).  Using your remote, press Home at least 5x, then Up, Down, Up, Down, Up.  Can either report the numbers or post a screenshot. ((Strength, Antenna, Glitch Rate and then the first line that says Channel, RSSI, Noise, and SNR)

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Jmar72 

Did a little more research and now remember why I didn't take the upgrade.  The router is not user-configurable at all.  You can't change DNS, disable the DHCP w/o setting to AP mode, change wireless channels, reserve addresses, or disable the Mesh System.

Since you really can't see the settings of the router (without use of a analyzer or networking commands), you really are at the mercy of this router to choose the best settings for you and automatically connect any wireless devices.  I also see your reference that people have been asking for user controls from the developers for some time.  If the arrogance of the answer from TP-Link Deco (assuming he is a moderator from his profile) is any indication, I wouldn't hold my breath that the next firmware update will allow this.   https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/154561?page=1&t=2019%2F04%2F23%2001%3A49%3A54%20%2...

About the only thing that you can try is to disable temporarily the 5ghz band from the Deco App and see if that allows you to connect your Roku devices to the 2.4ghz band.  Since you tried with no password, I am sure it is set up properly (again, since Premiere connected), but verify that you are using the default setup of wpa2/AES. Do not use any version/combination of TKIP when using AES.

The literature says the wireless channels are region specific.  There really is no way to determine what they are set to without use of an analyzer or checking your individual devices so I can't even tell you what yours are currently set to.   Good chance they are not using Roku compatible 5ghz channels.  If you can check that also, would be helpful with the troubleshooting.

Post back with an update if any of these changes worked, received different error messages, etc. 

0 Kudos
Dg83

Hey did you figure this out? I am having the same problem