Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New location, no connection

Jump to solution

Moved, new house, new wireless router, same Roku.  Distance between Roku and router ~7' and two inside walls, shouldn't be a factor.  Roku detects router, signal strength Strong, manually enter password, refuses to connect.  Vocally enter password, same failure.  Read forum solutions, unplug Roku device for 60 seconds, try again.  Now I get a message about vocal password entry requires connection to internet, so I must enter password manually.  Fails again when I do.  No wired internet connection option exists in that room or I'd try that next.  This one should be easy, but I'm out of ideas.  Help. please?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: New location, no connection

Jump to solution

A Roku 3 4230 was released back in 2013. It is a very old Roku and no longer manufactured.  If I were you I would purchase a new device. 

Does Roku 3 have wireless?

Yes, Roku 3 supports 802.11 dual-band (a/b/g/n compatible) with WEP, WPA, and WPA2 to allow the fastest streaming without having to run an ethernet cable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BKCQYRN/?tag=fomopop-20

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @CharlieBravo

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@CharlieBravo  Sounds to me like you have a budget model Roku Express. Those devices only work on the 2.4GHz WiFi. Other Roku models are dual band. Your new modem and router are the issue. You need to reconfigure them to work with your Roku. Or go out and pick up a Roku Stick 4K which has dual band. 

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels.  Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.

* Restart both your Router and your Roku after making above changes.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Probably could have been a little more clear in my last message.

Roku 3 - 4230X according to Settings > System > About.
Brand new Centurylink 1GHz connection and router.  Like less than a week old.
Wireless signal is 2.4GHz, verified with WifiAnalyzer on phone.  Chanel 6.  -45 dBm signal strength

Restarted router, restarted Roku (left unplugged for 60 seconds)
Ran Wireless scan discovered correct network (and several others)
Entered password
Connection failure - Error 014

Troubleshooting indicates I should restart my router and Roku device, but I just restarted them both, so I am at a loss where to go from here.  Should I paper-clip reset the Roku?

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

A Roku 3 4230 was released back in 2013. It is a very old Roku and no longer manufactured.  If I were you I would purchase a new device. 

Does Roku 3 have wireless?

Yes, Roku 3 supports 802.11 dual-band (a/b/g/n compatible) with WEP, WPA, and WPA2 to allow the fastest streaming without having to run an ethernet cable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BKCQYRN/?tag=fomopop-20

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@CharlieBravo wrote:

... Should I paper-clip reset the Roku?

Not yet.

Is there a reason you're using the 2.4 GHz band? Roku 3 supports 5 GHz band as well.

As mentioned earlier, settings should be b/g/n for 2.4 GHz. Many ISPs have changed default settings, making many g/n, which will screw with Roku connectivity on that band.

So, try 5 GHz, or ensure your 2.4 GHz is b/g/n not g/n settings.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@CharlieBravo 

Try creating an "open network" (disable wifi password) and see if your Roku connects.

If it does, then try eliminating any special characters (#, &, !, etc) from your password.  Depending on the router, there may be a setting in your router under Advanced that allows "Special Characters".  But for troubleshooting, best just to eliminate them and see if connects.

Other previous known issue affecting some CenturyLink routers was the b/g/n setting under the 2.4ghz band Mode/Protocol.  May have to set to g/n (thereby disabling legacy b support).

Feel free to post back with an update or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Jump to solution

I decided that, since it is an eight year old device, I'd just go to Amazon an order a new one, which will be delivered tomorrow.  I kinda hate to be a part of the throw-away society, but sometimes the time spent figuring out what's wrong with something that worked last week (and not having a functional time machine!) it's just easier to move to something newer that works.

Thanks for the help folks.

Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Exactly. Why spend hours and hours troubleshooting a very old device with it’s easier to throw it out and buy a new one. Plus your getting the latest and greatest 👍🏻

0 Kudos