Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nick_name
Level 7

New Streaming Stick+ can't connect to wifi and remote intermittent

Brand new Stick+. Went through setup fine until after it did its software upgrade. After that it will not connect to wifi at all and the remote mostly doesn't except for the volume and power buttons, which I assume are IR driven.

Stable wifi setup, nothing's changed for years, AP no more than 3m away: very good signal, low noise, no interference. Have tried factory reset, makes no difference.

Any ideas? I note I am not the only one having wifi issues right now. Has the latest update broken something?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New Streaming Stick+ can't connect to wifi and remote intermittent

You're correct about the volume, etc., but the remote should still connect and control the stick regardless of the Wi-Fi.  I realize it's new, but try new batteries anyway.  If you have another TV you can try it on, do that.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
nick_name
Level 7

Re: New Streaming Stick+ can't connect to wifi and remote intermittent

An update on this: completely unrelatedly I upgrading my wireless APs to TPLink Deco M9s from Cisco WAP121s (ie to 802.11ac from b/g/n).

This fixed the problem and the same stick now works perfectly with no further config needed, as does the remote.

My guess (looking at the flood of similar posts) is roku have borked the wifi code in that firmware update and it no longer works with older protocols (or maybe certain chips).

0 Kudos