Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

New Roku TV won’t connect to internet

Bought 2 tv’s. First one setup fine, no issues. Second one will not connect to WiFi. Does not show all available networks in search queue. Even adjusted network settings in router to disable password protection. Still won’t connect to an unsecured network.... bad network card. Unable to preform software update as there is no Ethernet connection available on device.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: New Roku TV won’t connect to internet

Try one thing first. In the settings menu there is a Network Connection Reset. I can't say exactly where it will be in your menu, but likely somewhere under System. This removes all network configurations, and can sometimes clear a corrupt setting that is interfering with the WiFi. I can't promise anything, but it's one thing to try.

But I will say that sometimes even new it might be defective. I brought home an Insignia Roku TV, and had all sorts of problems, finishing up with it stuck in the setup more unable to continue. I took it back a got a new one, which has worked fine for over 3 years now. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: New Roku TV won’t connect to internet

This was not an issue with my wireless network or signal strength. I did attempt to resolve the issue with power cycling, restoring to factories defaults, and resetting the unit via the small pin hole reset button. 

I ended up returning the TV, and purchasing another identical. This new TV setup without any issues, as did the first of the two I originally purchased. The only thing I can figure is that the unit had faulty internal software components. It would only display 5ghz wireless networks leaving out 2.4ghz from the wireless search queue. And when opted to, the unit would not connect regardless of network security being in place or not. The issue may have been able to be resolved with a software update, but I was unable to do this without wireless internet connection, the unit did not have an Ethernet input, and apparently I could have downloaded a software update to a flash drive and then uploaded it directly to the unit, but it was easier for me to return and re-purchase, especially with the unknown of weather or not the software update would resolve the issue after the hassle. 
0 Kudos