Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpgators1
Level 7

New Roku Premier 4k - Won't see 5g wireless

Jump to solution

I've been reading about the issues with 5g wireless channels and have tried 36, 40, 44, 48 153, 157, and 161.  My older Roku streaming stick sees each of these channels and I can see in the about connection screen that the channel is updating.  The brand new 4k Premier, however, continues to fail to see the 5g network.   Has anyone been able to connect this to a 5g wireless network?  Is this even 5g capable?  Do I need to change the frequency or even the channel width?

Thanks in advance, I'm frustrated as there's no longer someone to talk to.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: New Roku Premier 4k - Won't see 5g wireless

Jump to solution
The new Premiere 3920 and Premiere+ 3921 models are single band 802.11b/g/n 2.4 GHz only; there is no 5 GHz capability.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Jump to solution
The new Premiere 3920 and Premiere+ 3921 models are single band 802.11b/g/n 2.4 GHz only; there is no 5 GHz capability.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution
Also, just a point of terminology clarification. 5G refers to a wireless cellular protocol. With Wi-Fi, you are referring to radios that support the 5 GHz band. Not the same thing. There are different protocols with Wi-Fi as well, usually referred to by their official IEEE designation of 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC. Not all of those protocols support both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (the two radio bands authorized for Wi-Fi use). This chart shows the wireless capabilities of all past and current Roku devices. If your device doesn't say Dual Band, it only supports 2.4 GHz. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Exxeter
Level 7

Jump to solution

I should have done my research before buying it.  Why a streaming device would be made without access to 5GHz WiFi, astounds me.  5 GHz has greater speed and bandwidth than 2.4 GHz.

Dohno
Level 7

Jump to solution
Bought a roku tv has same issue! Should of bought something else.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

@Dohno wrote:
Bought a roku tv has same issue! Should of bought something else.

Not every Roku device supports 5 GHz WiFi. I don't know which TV you have, but that's most likely the issue.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos