Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: New Roku Premier 4k - Won't see 5g wireless

Jump to solution

If I cared about someone using my name, I wouldn't have it in my sig line. Smiley Very Happy

But let me explain again. It wasn't the 9.3 update that removed the 5 GHz wireless function from the Premiere. Only the original model contained the 5 GHz radio. I'm sorry, but I don't accept that anyone with a model 4620 or 4630 has lost their 5 GHz WiFi functionality with the update to 9.3. The models 3920/3921 never had the hardware to support 5 GHz. And no Express model ever had a 5 GHz radio, so never had 5 GHz support. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Okaaaay. I'm trying this again. I am completely willing to defer to your knowledge on the product[s] specs. In fact, that is my primary reason for being on the board. My only expertise is in the area of my personal experience and possibly in the application of Logic and Observation to said experience.

Case in point: I ordered 2 Roku 3920R from Amazon @ 6 weeks ago. I used it until a week ago with my netgear x6 tri-band router. I have a home network with 4 computers, 4 Flat Screens, 4 Rokus,  A home security system with 3 cameras, 2 IPads & 2 Android Phones attached. All of which were being routed through 2 of the 5GHz channels on the router without issues. [Including the rokus]. After the firmware update, all 4 Rokus switched to the 2.4 GHz channel on the router. None of them can now find any of the 5GHz channels on the router [Neither in auto or manual scan mode]. None of the other items that I am aware of [ I honestly only checked the PC's and phones] switched bands. All of them are continuing to this day to operate on the 2 5GHz bands that they were assigned.

I personally set each roku up. I saw them scan and connect to the SSID for my 5GHz networks. I also used 2 of the TVs frequently and 1 irregularly throughout this time.AS a result, I was immediately aware when something changed. I knew that the rokus were'nt seeing the 5GHz channels but did not know why.

If they had not ever run on the 5GHz channels, I would except that they were incapable of doing so. If my experience of the units running for various lengths of time [some as many as 6 years!] without incident was not being widely reported all over this community, I would likewise question my own experience.

Neither case is true. What all of these posts have in common is that the units were running on 5GHz networks previous to the update, and they completely will not connect after the update.

You do the math.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

This Wiki post shows the hardware specs for every Roku player ever offered. The 3920 never had a dual band radio, so it never could have connected to a 5 GHz access point. I have a 3920 myself and it has never seen my 5 GHz access points, and I name the SSID differently on them from the 2.4 GHz radios. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Dude! Really!!! I am writing this SLOWLY so you can hear meSmiley Very Happy!

I am NOT disagreeing with you IN ANY WAY about what the specs are for the product. I am simply trying to point out that my experience [and that of literally Dozens of members of the community] is that these models were, in fact, connecting to 5GHz channels previous to the update and that they stopped doing so after the update.

{As a side note: my SSID's are labelled XXXX50 [2.4], XXXX50-5G [5GH TV-Phones and tablets] XXXX50-5G-1 [Rokus and Laptops] XXXX50-5G-2 [Security System Cams & Guest]}

Kindly notice that I, at no time, questioned your experience of having the unit Not find or connect to any 5GHz signal.

0 Kudos