Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: New Roku Premier 4k - Won't see 5g wireless

Jump to solution

Mostly speed, but of course unless you're streaming 4K from a local server there's no real need for the speed improvement. 5GHz is also less crowded, so again in theory the connection should be more reliable. But as you noted, 2.4GHz has better range.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted

Re: New Roku Premier 4k - Won't see 5g wireless

Jump to solution

for one, personal audio doesn’t play well on 2.4 ghz—this is a frustrating oversight! why would you not allow 5ghz when your phone remote app relies on connecting via the wireless network? this makes NO sense...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: New Roku Premier 4k - Won't see 5g wireless

Jump to solution

@LLswtgkAndTrill wrote:

for one, personal audio doesn’t play well on 2.4 ghz—this is a frustrating oversight! why would you not allow 5ghz when your phone remote app relies on connecting via the wireless network? this makes NO sense...


There's no technical reason audio would play any differently on 5 GHz vs. 2.4 GHz. And the lower band has better coverage and longer range. 5 GHz has higher bandwidth potential, but even high bitrate audio wouldn't come close to exceeding the capabilities of 2.4 GHz.

As to why 5 GHz isn't included on all devices, it's all about keeping costs low. Since a lot of homes don't even have 5 GHz in their Internet modems/routers (my CenturyLink DSL modem doesn't) why include something that adds to the cost that isn't of use to many buyers? You want 5 GHz, you purchase a more expensive device. Virtually all electronic devices are built and sold that way.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted

Re: New Roku Premier 4k - Won't see 5g wireless

Jump to solution

With this whole 2.4ghz vs 5ghz war going on in here.... Can someone just tell me why my Roku Premiere+ is unable to stream 4K content without constant buffering? All my other devices that stream 4K content in my household are on a 5ghz band with NO ISSUES. Yet this Premiere+, is the only 4K capable device I own that's on a 2.4ghz band, but CANNOT stream 4K!! Is there something technical I'm overlooking here? Is this Roku meant to have a Wifi-6 owned router in mind?? Please tell me! Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: New Roku Premier 4k - Won't see 5g wireless

Jump to solution

@AZNundercover wrote:

With this whole 2.4ghz vs 5ghz war going on in here.... Can someone just tell me why my Roku Premiere+ is unable to stream 4K content without constant buffering? All my other devices that stream 4K content in my household are on a 5ghz band with NO ISSUES. Yet this Premiere+, is the only 4K capable device I own that's on a 2.4ghz band, but CANNOT stream 4K!! Is there something technical I'm overlooking here? Is this Roku meant to have a Wifi-6 owned router in mind?? Please tell me! Thanks.


What sort of 4K material are you referring to? From online sources like Prime or Netflix? Or from a local server that contains a UHD Blu Ray rip? If it's the latter, you'll most likely never get a smooth playback because of the bitrates involved. Uncompressed UHD rips have bitstreams the easily exceed 100 Mbps, with peaks of some movies approaching 180 Mbps. While I've heard of one person that has success with such video over a 802.11ac connection, the vast majority of us never can. I have test videos with various bitstreams, and I've never been able to play back anything higher than 90 Mbps without buffering. And my .11ac access point is within 5 feet of the Roku with an excellent signal and a wired Gigabit network feeding the WAP. 

If you're encountering buffering with online sources, then you have a problem elsewhere. Online sources, even with 4K material, never exceed 20 Mbps. Netflix can stream smooth 4K with as little as 10 Mbps, and their stream tops out at 16 Mbps. Your wireless connection would have to simply be terrible to buffer at those rates. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: New Roku Premier 4k - Won't see 5g wireless

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@AZNundercover wrote:

With this whole 2.4ghz vs 5ghz war going on in here.... Can someone just tell me why my Roku Premiere+ is unable to stream 4K content without constant buffering? All my other devices that stream 4K content in my household are on a 5ghz band with NO ISSUES. Yet this Premiere+, is the only 4K capable device I own that's on a 2.4ghz band, but CANNOT stream 4K!! Is there something technical I'm overlooking here? Is this Roku meant to have a Wifi-6 owned router in mind?? Please tell me! Thanks.


What sort of 4K material are you referring to? From online sources like Prime or Netflix? Or from a local server that contains a UHD Blu Ray rip? If it's the latter, you'll most likely never get a smooth playback because of the bitrates involved. Uncompressed UHD rips have bitstreams the easily exceed 100 Mbps, with peaks of some movies approaching 180 Mbps. While I've heard of one person that has success with such video over a 802.11ac connection, the vast majority of us never can. I have test videos with various bitstreams, and I've never been able to play back anything higher than 90 Mbps without buffering. And my .11ac access point is within 5 feet of the Roku with an excellent signal and a wired Gigabit network feeding the WAP. 

If you're encountering buffering with online sources, then you have a problem elsewhere. Online sources, even with 4K material, never exceed 20 Mbps. Netflix can stream smooth 4K with as little as 10 Mbps, and their stream tops out at 16 Mbps. Your wireless connection would have to simply be terrible to buffer at those rates. 


For now, YouTube is my online source I'm primarily referring to since it gives me the ability to adjust the quality settings real-time. My Roku Premiere+ is telling me I'm getting somewhere between 10-15mbps. With both my router and roku device in the same room. On YouTube, 4K videos tend to buffer here-and-there... gets annoying after awhile. Now since you brought up Netflix, that service doesn't recognize me able to get a 4K stream.... everything is 1080p for me there.

Here's another kicker.... I live in an apartment community, so 2.4ghz band is a bit crowded. If only channels 12-14 weren't restricted, I might be looking a little better. *sigh*

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: New Roku Premier 4k - Won't see 5g wireless

Jump to solution

@AZNundercover wrote:

For now, YouTube is my online source I'm primarily referring to since it gives me the ability to adjust the quality settings real-time. My Roku Premiere+ is telling me I'm getting somewhere between 10-15mbps. With both my router and roku device in the same room. On YouTube, 4K videos tend to buffer here-and-there... gets annoying after awhile. Now since you brought up Netflix, that service doesn't recognize me able to get a 4K stream.... everything is 1080p for me there.

Here's another kicker.... I live in an apartment community, so 2.4ghz band is a bit crowded. If only channels 12-14 weren't restricted, I might be looking a little better. *sigh*


I've never paid attention to the bitrate that YouTube puts out, so can't say for sure. As for Netflix, they have throttled the output in many places, so you not getting 4K from them might be their doing. 

It is a shame Roku removed the dual band WiFi radio from the Premiere models after their first release. 5 GHz is certainly a quieter band. It absolutely can be tough finding space on the 2.4 GHz band. Even with my nearest neighbors being either across the street or a good 40+ feet spacing between the others, my 2.4 GHz band is extremely crowded. So I completely understand your issue. Unfortunately I can't offer much in the way of solutions. About all you can do is ensure the wireless access point (most likely your router) is as close as possible to ensure the best possible signal.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: New Roku Premier 4k - Won't see 5g wireless

Jump to solution

Dan, here is where I take exception wit h an earlier answer. If ROKU disabled the 5GHz wifi feature in their 9.2 firmware, then this is not a case of I wanted the feature I should have bought a more expensive product! If the feature was unavailable on this product when I bought it, then that would be my fault. If they even specified that they were going to turn off the feature in some future timeframe, the again, it would be on me. The actual case is though, that this [5GHz] was a working feature until, without notice, the company turned it off!!! I now have 4 premier units that I either must upgrade or except lesser service for other appliances connected to my home network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: New Roku Premier 4k - Won't see 5g wireless

Jump to solution

@Beeterfly5 wrote:

Dan, here is where I take exception wit h an earlier answer. If ROKU disabled the 5GHz wifi feature in their 9.2 firmware, then this is not a case of I wanted the feature I should have bought a more expensive product! If the feature was unavailable on this product when I bought it, then that would be my fault. If they even specified that they were going to turn off the feature in some future timeframe, the again, it would be on me. The actual case is though, that this [5GHz] was a working feature until, without notice, the company turned it off!!! I now have 4 premier units that I either must upgrade or except lesser service for other appliances connected to my home network.


I'm sorry, I believe you mis-understood me. Roku didn't remove anything via a firmware update. The original Premiere (4620) and Premiere+ (4630) contained both the 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless radios. When they refreshed both models (3920 and 3921) they removed the 5 GHz radio, so those no longer support 5 GHz. It was a hardware change, not anything removed via software. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: New Roku Premier 4k - Won't see 5g wireless

Jump to solution
atc98092, first, let me apologize for calling you Dan in my earlier post. I am very new to this. Having said that, I must disagree vehemently with your assertion that nothing was removed via firmware update. The 5GHz functionality was turned off ["removed"] through the 9.3 firmware upgrade for Premier and Express models.
I realize you were talking about an extremely specific case and that in that case, there was a change in Hardware features between models.
The present case is that people who have the exact same unit [hardware] that they had pre-firmware update, no longer have any access to 5GHz functionality [ Unit won't find any 5GHz channels during scan. Also won't connect manually]. So, in THIS case, yes something was removed via firmware.
0 Kudos