Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

New Roku Express - Will not connect to (2.4GHz) wifi after initial update

Brand new, just purchased tonight. 

Entered wifi password and it connected just fine. Green check marks, connected to internet etc.

Prompted for a software update which it then downloads, installs, reboots, etc. After that, it will no longer connect to my 2.4GHz SSID that it just connected to prior to the update.

I have tried using the reset button to reset to factory defaults (same result, connects initially then fails after software update), tried connecting to a wifi hotspot (also fails), changing wifi channels, changing the 2.4Ghz channel width, rebooting my wifi router, probably more that I can't remember. Wifi signal strength is not an issue - router is on the other side of the wall (other devices much further away connect just fine).

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: New Roku Express - Will not connect to (2.4GHz) wifi after initial update

@derrekwilliams  Thanks for the note here. A couple more questions to help clarify details: 

- What is the specific make and model of wireless router you are using? 

- Have you tried adjusting the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this resolves the issue? 

- Have you tested connecting to a different wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if this is successful? 

Keep us posted and we'll see what other recommendations we can make from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

After many hours of frustration with this problem (and TWO Express units unable to connect to my network after the November update is applied), I believe I have finally fixed this. (Since ROKU apparently hasn't even bothered to acknowledge the issue.

It's NOT your router. It's not your network. It's the Express stick, the SE Box (which uses the Express firmware), and possibly the EXPRESS + stick as well. 

Symptoms: It connects fine initially to set up. After the update installs and unit restarts, it no longer connects to your network (even though it may still SEE it.)

Resolution: (And dont ask my exactly why this works, but:

Go to HOME> Setttings> System>Advanced System Settings>Device Connect>and select DISABLE DEVICE CONNECT.

Restart the unit. It may even restart on its own after about 20 seconds. After the restart, it should automatically connect to your network.

To test this after it does, PULL THE POWER to your unit and let it sit about 5 minutes. Then power it up again, and it should still be fine.

Hope this works for you as well. If it does, you're welcome. Smiley Happy

Shame on ROKU.

Highlighted
Level 7

Had the same problem on my 2 players.  I was not able to disable the option you stated because of the remotes I have with the player but was able to reset the network connections then establish the wifi connection again and it now works.  Everything else on my network works fine, just both Roku's went offline at the same time.  Auto-Updates suck some times.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks so much, I've tried everything for the last 2 days. And finally found your post. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Won’t connect to internet after update

I posted on here a little bit ago but now I can’t find my post. I just got the roku express. I hooked it up and started install. It connected to internet perfectly and quickly. It said it needed to update and reboot so it did and now it won’t connect to my internet. The password saves so I know that is correct. I have tried re-entering the password, resetting my router, unplugging the HDMI for 30 seconds and unplugging from the power source for 30 seconds and nothing is working. I’m getting so frustrated. I now just did a factory reset and the exact same thing is happening. Can someone please help me? I’m new to streaming devices, this is my first Roku and I am not tech savvy. I have no idea what I am doing. Please help!!! #rokuexpress #nointernetafterupdate #wontconnecttowifi #updateruinedmyroku 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Won’t connect to internet after update

@Jhuff0125

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried performing a factory reset on your device and seeing if you are able to connect and setup the device.

We would also recommend trying to connect and setup the device on an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot.

For more information on how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hate to bother you but this describes the exact problem  I am having. How did you get to the settings menus? I can't get past the initial setup screen to get to more advanced menus. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I factory reset my roku and still cannot connect to the internet. I now cannot even access any menus. I turn it on and it asks for language. Then it scans for networks. I try logging into my network and it will not. I have reset the roku and my router many times. I have looked on my network, it shows the roku's mac address as connected. I have been working on this for four hours now. I do not have mobile hotspot, so I am unable to try another network. I have the roku  2ft from my router. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@SpringLaRee 

Thanks for the note.

What Roku model device are you trying to connect to the internet?

Please keep me posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos