Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PositivePat
Level 7

Re: New Roku Express - Will not connect to (2.4GHz) wifi after initial update

Did you ever hear anything back? I’m having the exact same issue. I connected then it prompted an update. After updating, it will not connect. Two hours later of trying multiple different things, It tells me to select a language, and then select a WiFi network. I’m not even able to get to the main home screen. I own two other Roku and I don’t have this issue. I would like a resolution ASAP because I feel like I just threw away $30. I’m a reasonable man, but it’s frustrating that it’s screen(and website) recommends solutions that don’t even work. I’m guessing there was a glitch in the update, that would probably be cheaper to fix and provide a new update, Opposed to occupying their customer support representatives and most likely offering some sort of product as replacement. Just my 2 cents

Brandy1
Level 8

I’m going to try this now. I’m SO mad at roku. Just spent an hour with someone on chat who ended up just blaming my home network when it worked flawlessly for two years straight. Roku has a real issue with accountability. If your solution doesn’t work, I’m going with another brand. 

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I'm pretty sure Roku has no chat, so I'm not sure who you were chatting with.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
CVT
Level 7

Hi I have the exact same problem I cannot get to a menu to try anything. Did you get a reply that helped?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@CVT

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Alisonm2001
Level 7

Trying to set up Roku express, wireless connection gets the green check Mark, but not internet connection. Then it asks if it’s a home or hotel/dorm?  I did restart the router. This is frustrating. Should I get a different Roku ?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Alisonm2001 When it asks that question, it's usually for one of two reasons. The first is that while it connected to the wireless, it can't find a connection to the Internet. In a hotel or dorm, that's usually because they have some sort of authentication required via a web page to access the Internet. The other reason is if your network isn't using what are called private IP addresses. If you're using a router out of the box, that shouldn't be an issue. But some cable companies configure their routers to assign an IP address within their internal network range, and Roku doesn't recognize that has a safe, private network. A different Roku will likely respond with an identical question.

Can you tell us what IP address range your network has? It would probably be easiest to check on a device that's already connected. Most home networks should have an IP address starting with 192.168.x.x. The first x is usually a zero or one, while the second x is specific to a particular connected device, and will never be the same on different devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos