Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eh6
Level 7

Network says it’s connected but it’s not

I’ll connect to my internet and it will say it’s connected but it won’t work. I’ll try to go on anything and it’ll say network error. When I reconnect to the internet it will ask if I’m in a dorm or hotel or at home.

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13\
boogernose
Level 18

Re: Network says it’s connected but it’s not

Sounds like youre using Guest Mode.

Your settings arent right.

Did you pair with a account at https://www.roku.com/

Check your settings.

So you told it youre at home and what happens?

Has it ever worked? Did you just get it? New?

You can always do a factory reset and open a new account and pair it.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Getting-Started-Setup-How-to/Setup-Help-Getting-Started-with-Your-Roku...

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Eh6
Level 7

I’m not in guest mode. I’ve had my Roku Express for almost a year and it had worked perfectly fine with no problems. My dad got a new internet system and it just doesn’t want to work. When it asks if I’m home or at a dorm I say I’m home and it will say it’s connected but it’s not actually connected apparently. I’ve reset my tv and my Roku about 10 times and nothing. I’m not sure if it’s something to do with the Roku or if it’s the internet. It’s never done this before. 

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

So it started with the new Internet. Resetting the TV wont help.

But maybe rebooting the Router will. Is the Router broadcasting a 2.4G signal?

Try it. If it logs out of the wifi than your signal is weak.

Do you still have the old Router???

You can make a Bridge with it.......

Does your smart Phone log in to the wifi OK?

0 Kudos
Eh6
Level 7

We have a new router and the signal is not weak. There is another Roku in my house house that is working the with the new network. Everything else in the house connects to the WiFi and works perfect. 

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

Reboot the Router and try again.

If you can log out on some of the other connections

then get back to them and log back in.

Reboot the Router.

0 Kudos
grandmasboy
Level 7

Im having the same issue. I did upgrade my router and cable modem. Have both 2.4 and 5ghz networks that are not in guest mode. i reconnected everything in my house to it including roku and it worked fine for 2 weeks and just stopped. Also I am a IT engineer

0 Kudos
grandmasboy
Level 7

How I fixed it. I resynced my range extenders, rebooted router, didnt have to reboot modem, factory reset and reactivate. Just not sure why it randomly just stopped working.. meh

0 Kudos
Linckza
Level 7

Idk how to do that I have the same problem, can you help me step by step?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Linckza 

Start your troubleshooting by simply rebooting both your router and your Roku device.  There should be a button on your router.  For the Roku, unplug it for a couple of seconds and then plug it back in.  If you have any extenders or additional access points like the members in the posts above, reboot them as well after you restart your router but before the Roku device.

If doesn't solve your issue, post back with the model numbers of your Roku device and router.  Include any error codes you are seeing on the Roku screen.  When in the Roku, navigate to Settings...Network..Check Connection.  What are the results (both green checkmarks for network and internet, both red, etc)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insigna RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos