Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RJBaptist
Level 7

Network and Remote problems

Having two problems - perhaps related with my Roku Premier+

Up until a couple weeks ago it has been working fine - then the remote started doing weird things.  I can change select anything, but it randomly will pause the TV, and on occasion - the volume button may for example become the asterisk button.

Decided to reset the device to see if that would solve it.  Now it won't connect back to my home network.  The network has been (and continues) to work on all other devices - no changes were made.  It tells me 'low signal strength' (yet before it was fine).... and all other devices are getting Excellent signal.  I am broadcasting on BOTH 2.4 and 5G (though the 5G has never been an option with this ROKU device).  I've tried moving the device closer to the router and it gets a little better, but then drops off before I can complete setup. 

At a loss - cannot get it connected and set up....

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: Network and Remote problems

@RJBaptist wrote:

Having two problems - perhaps related with my Roku Premier+

Up until a couple weeks ago it has been working fine - then the remote started doing weird things.  I can change select anything, but it randomly will pause the TV, and on occasion - the volume button may for example become the asterisk button.

Decided to reset the device to see if that would solve it.  Now it won't connect back to my home network.  The network has been (and continues) to work on all other devices - no changes were made.  It tells me 'low signal strength' (yet before it was fine).... and all other devices are getting Excellent signal.  I am broadcasting on BOTH 2.4 and 5G (though the 5G has never been an option with this ROKU device).  I've tried moving the device closer to the router and it gets a little better, but then drops off before I can complete setup. 

At a loss - cannot get it connected and set up....

[Pedantic interjection: 5G refers to the cell phone connection scheme referred to as "5th Generation", which is currently being introduced by the mobile industry.  The two wifi bands are properly referred to by their frequencies, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.]

If your Roku Premiere+ is the 2018 release,  model 3921, it has single band wifi that only supports the 2.4 GHz wifi band.  The older Premiere+ from 2016, model 3710, has dual band wifi supporting both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

This has always worked for me to fix wifi connection problems, even when other devices are connecting without a hitch - some report this has helped them, others not.

● Reboot your router.

● When the router comes back up, restart your Roku.  Normally Settings > System > Restart system does it for me, but I've had a couple of times when I've had to unplug the Roku's power for a minute or so.

● Set up your network connection, if necessary, via Settings > Network > Set up connection.

This used to be a rare occurance for me but I've had to do it several times since Roku released the 9.3 version of their operating software.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos