Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Network Connection Issue

The past 2 days I keep getting error messages that my roku cannot connect to my network. But when I check the network connection it says that I am connected and that I have an excellent signal. I have restarted my router and my Roku several times and I keep getting the same error messages every time I try to open one of my channels. It is getting extremely frustrating, especially since you cannot call and talk to someone to help you through this. Customer support is not the best.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Network Connection Issue

I tried adding an Express today.  Connected to Wifi at turn on and then tried to update the software.  It bricked itself and could no longer connect to Wifi.  Got another unit and it did exactly the same.  I had a Premiere running for some time just fine and it developed the same problem with connecting to the Wifi.

I have 3 Ultras running and they are just fine.  They all can connect via hardwire or Wifi.  Looks like it could be a corrupted update from Roku.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing!

Please send me a private message with your Roku account email address and more details about your Roku devices; serial number, model, etc. I'll follow up directly to take a closer look, and see what other recommendations we can make.

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@mrrogers101 What do you mean when you say 'bricked' your device? Are you just not seeing anything on screen after going through the setup process? Please describe exactly what is occurring step by step so we can help investigate this further. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

The Roku animated opening worked after it tried to update its' software, after that just a screen to relog into wifi. It could no longer find the Wifi.  My Ultras (4 of them) can all access the same 2,5 Wifi just fine.  The signal strength was full scale before the update and connected just fine.  Did that on both Express units.  The jury is still out on the Premiere.  I want to try it once more before getting a warranty replacement.  It too had a problem with Wifi connection.  I have an RMA on that unit.   Both Express units went back to Best Buy.

Bricked....something with the same use as a brick.

Jim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@mrrogers101 

Thanks for the details. To help clarify, the term 'bricked' is generally used when a device will no longer power on or function at all in any way. It appears you are running into a wireless or network related issue, since your device still powers on. Roku Express and Premiere (3920/3921) model devices are only capable of connecting to 2.4GHz wireless networks. If your wireless network isn't broadcasting on the 2.4GHz spectrum, this may explain why you aren't able to 'see' the network. 

If your network is broadcasting on the 2.4GHz spectrum, you might try changing the wireless broadcast channel for the 2.4GHz SSID, and see if this clears up the issue. If not, please let us know what specific brand and model of wireless router you are using so we can help investigate this further. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

If you are seeing an error code when trying to connect to the network, this indicates that there is a problem with either your network connection, the network name or password you've entered, your wireless router configuration, etc. We have a couple troubleshooting resources here to help with a variety of error codes you may see: 

https://support.roku.com/article/208758938-what-should-i-do-if-i-see-error-code-011-cannot-connect-t...

https://support.roku.com/article/208755728-what-should-i-do-if-i-cannot-connect-to-my-home-network-o...

If your network uses any special characters in the username or password, you might also try removing these to see if this helps you get connected. All Roku Express and Premiere (model 3920/3921) devices are only compatible with 2.4GHz wireless b/g/n networks and will not connect to 5GHz wireless networks. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos