Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbor's Roku Express disrupting my internet?

Hello, I am hoping someone can provide me with an answer here. On about the 23rd of December I started having internet issues. Slow speeds and constant disconnects. While trying to troubleshoot this I noticed an unrecognized device on my wireless network called simply "Express". Doing some googling I discovered that this is a Roku device, and it even shows up on my phones Roku app, although I have no such device in my house nor can I access it via my Roku app. What I am wondering is if this device could be responsible for my internet issues. I have read in various places where it locks onto the strongest nearby wifi and matches it or some such (not clear on all of this) and can disrupt wireless internet of neighbors. Could this also be disconnecting my internet and causing slow speeds? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 21

Re: Neighbor's Roku Express disrupting my internet?

If your neighbor's Roku shows up on your network either you have no security set up on your Wi-Fi or he knows your Wi-Fi password.  If you don't have any security, that's bad.  If you do, change your password.

0 Kudos

Re: Neighbor's Roku Express disrupting my internet?

I do have security set up on my wifi. And I have changed the password. Several times now. It still shows on my network and the network issues persist. I am less concerned about the presence of the device on my roku app and more concerned with if the neighbors Roku Express is causing my internet issues.

0 Kudos