Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AR_StkVsr
Level 7

Need "how-to" info for changing wifi device channels

I have a Roku Enhanced Streaming Stick+ which I purchased to provide better remote service. Unfortunately, the improved stick has provided many more hang-ups than the remote stick I used before (IR). I have over a long period of time come to think that I have a significant conflict issue on my remote wifi device and would like to change the channel on this device. While I can get into the router and display information, I have not been able to determine how to change the channel of this device. I would rather not utilize another frequency, just change the channel of this device on 2.4gb from 6 to 11 to eliminate the contention. All 5 other devices are on channel 6 on the 2.4gb frequency. My questions would be:
- Can I change only the channel on this device? If so, How?
I am an AT&T uverse customer and use an NVG589 router or gateway. When I sign into the router the displays are marked with an ARRIS branding which I assume is meaningful for determining how to navigate the router  changes. Can anyone help?   

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Need "how-to" info for changing widi device channels

Hi there, 

I'd recommend contacting your ISP (AT&T) directly for assistance making those changes to your router. You can reach U-Verse support here: https://www.att.com/contactus/index/digitaltv.html

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

No, you cannot change the channel per device. The router is what controls the channel in use, and each band 2.4 or 5 GHz) only supports single channel. Ignore that some 5 GHz devices might use multiple channels at the same time, but they are all bonded together and all connected devices use the same channel group. 
The only way to use a different channel than your other devices would be to add another WiFi access point on your network, assign a different channel number to it, then only connect your Roku to that router. 
By the way, if your previous Roku was a Stick, it never used IR. A versions of Roku Stick were RF controlled only. Since they are designed to be installed behind a display, IR would never work with them.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
AR_StkVsr
Level 7

Help me understand what is being posted. I have the community forum mgr telling me that a problem a lot of folks are complaining about (remotes loosing their connection) is one that I should go and talk to AT&T about. More interesting (I am not a network person, hence the forum entry requesting assistance with the implementation of entries that are posted in these forums) stating that loosing connections for the remotes can be lessened with changing the channel of the wifi device.  atc98092 indicates that you can't have multiple channel selection for devices on the frequency so what are the options being promoted as to changing the channel number of the wifi devices to lessen contention.

My remote will occasionally drop its wifi connection and requires I go back through the connection and pairing process to get things going. Am I missing something here? I was assuming that changing the channel selection would decrease the number of times I loose the connection. 
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

Apologies for any confusion—let me try to help clarify here. You described an issue you were running into, and stated that you were wanting help changing your wireless network's broadcast channel. (Which is a great troubleshooting step to attempt for the issue you described! See more in our FAQ here: https://support.roku.com/article/208755708-how-do-i-resolve-problems-with-my-roku-enhanced-point-any...)  

From your post: 

"My questions would be:

- Can I change only the channel on this device? If so, How?"

I provided the contact information for your ISP that you stated issued you the router you are using. Wireless broadcast channels will need to be changed on the router which is broadcasting the wireless network, and not on a device that is connected to that network. Wireless routers send the signal on a specific frequency band & channel; devices simply receive that signal on whichever compatible frequency & wireless broadcast channel it is being sent on. (i.e. 2.4 GHz band frequency - wireless broadcast channel 6) 

@atc98092 provided some additional information that is a bit complex for most typical users, and not really necessary to help answer your primary question. 

5GHz wireless networks are typically preferable to 2.4GHz wireless networks when trying to decrease wireless interference because they offer many more wireless broadcast channels to choose from. I would recommend contacting your ISP and asking them to help you confirm the type of network being broadcast, enable 5GHz if possible, and try changing the wireless broadcast channel on your wireless router to help decrease possible interference & improve network performance. 

Alternately, you can also try downloading the free Roku Mobile app, which offers remote control functionality built right in. Sometimes this can be helpful when dealing with tricky wireless issues. 

Please keep us posted from there!

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
AR_StkVsr
Level 7

Re: Need "how-to" info for changing wifi device channels

Thank you. This does clarify some things for me.
0 Kudos