Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackLeach
Level 7

My roku does not display my network name?

Recently my roku would not display my network name and then I went and bought a new roku exspress+ yesterday and its doing the same thing. I know for sure my network is available publicly and I've even adjusted the channel in my router

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: My roku does not display my network name?

What channel did you change it to, and on what radio band? The Express doesn't work on 5 GHz, so only the 2.4 GHz settings need to be looked at. It should be on channel 1, 6 or 11. Also check the protocol settings. Many devices by default are set to 802.11 b/g/n. Almost nothing still uses 11b, so you can just set it to g/n. There might be a checkbox that says something about legacy connections. If so, turn that off as well. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: My roku does not display my network name?

To add to the reply from @atc98092 

In the 2.4 GHz band, Rokus only use the channels that are in use in the USA, i.e. channels 1-11.  Channels in the "teens" are used in some other countries and are supported by some routers, so make sure your router is not set to a channel higher than 11.

Also, there have been a number of reports lately of people who have routers supplied by their Internet Provider having their router's 2.4 GHz band disabled by an update to the router software.   They've had to have their Internet Provider re-enable the 2.4 GHz band, or in some cases swap in a new router.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos