Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

My new roku won't find my wireless network

I don't know what else to do! I have bought a brand new Roku Express, never been set up before. I have plugged it into my tv and it can find every wireless network on my street except mine! I have rebooted both the router and the roku about 20 times and nothing changes, I have tried with different cables & plugs that doesn't help. I've contacted my internet provider and they have checked the router, it's fine, all our other devices are connected including another roku box on another tv. The new roku is directly next to the router. Please can someone help! I can't actually contact Roku which I think is shocking, so hopefully someone on here can help!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Level 19

Re: My new roku won't find my wireless network

While it's certainly possible you received a defective Express here are several things you can investigate.  If you're unfamiliar with configuring your router you may need to go back to your ISP's support for some of them.

It may be informative to check the connection parameters on the Roku that is working, via Settings > Network > About.  It will show you the network name and channel number it is connected to.  Channels 1-14 are in the 2.4 GHz band, channels 36 and up are in the 5 GHz band

The Express is a budget model that has a single band wifi.  it can only operate in the 2.4 GHz band and cannot see the 5 GHz band at all.   If your router is a dual band with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, make sure it has the 2.4 GHz band turned on.  If your working Roku is connected to channel 1 through 11, your router has the 2.4 band turned on.  If your working Roku is connected to channel 36 or higher it is using the 5 GHz band and tells you nothing about the 2.4 GHz band.

In the 2.4 GHz band, all Rokus only support channels 1 through 11 that are used in the US.  Make sure your router is not set to 2.4 GHz channel numbers 12 to 14 which are used in some other countries

It's actually possible to be too close to your router such that the wifi signal overpowers the Roku's wifi receiver.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi