Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kelsal2021
Level 7

My Roku is FROZEN on the menu screen

I have a Roku Streaming Stick+ and took it on vacation and used it at my family's home. I brought back to our home and plugged back in like normal onto our TV.  The Roku stick is frozen on the menu screen and it will not let me go to settings or to any apps. I reset my router several times, unplugged the Roku stick and used the steps to unfreeze it. (press home button 5 times, up arrow key once, rewind button twice and the forward button twice) this did not work. I also took the batteries out and replaced with new ones. I used the reset button on the Roku stick and held for 30 seconds and nothing. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: My Roku is FROZEN on the menu screen

This sounds like the remote has lost its pairing with the Stick. If you hadn't done a factory reset, you might have been able to control it with the Roku app on your phone. But now you have to get the remote paired back up before you can do anything. 

Since you held the reset button, is your display now on the initial setup screen, or is it on the Roku home screen with all your channels appearing? If you're on the home screen, your reset probably wasn't successful and you still might be able to control the Stick with the app. If you can do that, you can get into the Settings/Remote screen and attempt to re-pair the remote. 

On your remote, first make sure you installed the batteries correctly. Some remotes have them both facing the same way, while others have one up and one down. Then press the button under the battery cover to activate the re-pair function. See this page for more complete details. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
lowrider01
Level 7

@atc98092 wrote:

This sounds like the remote has lost its pairing with the Stick. If you hadn't done a factory reset, you might have been able to control it with the Roku app on your phone. But now you have to get the remote paired back up before you can do anything. 

Since you held the reset button, is your display now on the initial setup screen, or is it on the Roku home screen with all your channels appearing? If you're on the home screen, your reset probably wasn't successful and you still might be able to control the Stick with the app. If you can do that, you can get into the Settings/Remote screen and attempt to re-pair the remote. 

On your remote, first make sure you installed the batteries correctly. Some remotes have them both facing the same way, while others have one up and one down. Then press the button under the battery cover to activate the re-pair function. See this page for more complete details. 

@atc98092 wrote:

0 Kudos
lowrider01
Level 7

I replaced the batteries and found the reset button.  The remote will not respond to anything.  I have not idea what to do next.  I have unplugged the Roku box and reset the internet.  Can anyone help

0 Kudos
lowrider01
Level 7

The roku screen is frozen on the channel screen.

0 Kudos
lowrider01
Level 7

I have tried very thing you have suggested, however nothing seem to be working.

0 Kudos