Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DevonBirch
Level 7

My Roku Express won't connect to my Wifi??

So I have had my Roku Express for about 6 months. It has been hooked up to the same tv on the same wifi the entire time, but recently stopped connecting to the internet. It will connect to my wifi, but then immediately disconnects, while simultaneously saying the signal strength is excellent. When I check the connect it says the playback speed is poor. However, I have a different Roku in a different room, connected to the same wifi that is having no problems. The one I'm having issues with is actually closer to the router so this makes no sense. I have reset both the Roku and the Router several times and nothing is working. I was actually able to connect it to my hotspot on my phone but I can't keep doing that, I need to get it to connect to wifi.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MaryFranco
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: My Roku Express won't connect to my Wifi??

Hi @DevonBirch,

Thanks for the post.

You have the Roku Express and it is a single-band wireless device which means it only supports a 2.4 GHz connection. Your Roku Express will not recognize the 5Ghz network. You need to make sure that your 2.4 GHz network is active by using your mobile phone and check if you can detect the 2.4 GHz network. We also suggest you reach out to your Internet Service Provider or ISP for assistance in checking if the 2.4 GHz network is active and not hidden. 

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
fkunc
Level 8

Have you thought about moving in to the room where you have the working Roku and temporarily putting it in in place of that one to see if it connects properly there?

My guess would be that if it does there is something wrong in the network and if it still doesn't there is something wrong in the Roku.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

I don't have an Express, but my most-used Roku Streaming Stick+ on my living room tv loses wifi connection once or twice a month.  This has always worked for me:

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart (for a Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection. 

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
YahRoquit
Level 7

Hi I’m so glad I found all these posts! I’ve lost roku also no internet connect. Spent a week trying to hook up. I’ve decided it’s gone for good and I’m so sadSmiley Sad had this for 3 years worked fine. Some one pulled the plug!!!! So irritating bought new one taking back to store! 

0 Kudos
tanerakn
Level 7

Hello there, You need to change the wireless> control channel settings in your modem settings. roku only accepts 1 to 11 values. You will see that you are connected through wireless when you change these values.

0 Kudos