Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joshisimo
Level 7

My Roku Express 3900X won't update

My Roku Express 3900X seems to be broken.  I purchased it in July 2019 and I have it in my guest room which is rarely used.  It has software version 9.3.0.  I tried to use the Roku device and was having trouble with it.  I decided to do a factory reset.  

I pushed the reset button for 10 seconds, chose English, selected my WiFi network, entered the password, selected Home network.  The setup won't go past this screen.  I have tried it at least 12 times with the same result.

The WiFi router is located in the same room as the Roku device.  The WiFi connects to my phone and all other devices without issue.  The WiFi is not the problem.  

Has anyone else experienced this problem with their Roku device?  What steps can I try next?  Or shall I just toss the Roku 3900X into the trash and purchase a new device from another manufacturer?  Please advise.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Roku Express 3900X won't update

When the setup fails to complete, here are a couple of things that some people have found to work for them. They may not be universally successful, but they are worth a try.

Easiest to try, so try this first: Restart your router, even if other devices have no trouble connecting. When your router has completed its startup, try repeating your Roku setup.

More involved: Repeat the setup by connecting to a different wifi network - perhaps via a wifi hotspot on your mobile phone or by taking it to a friend's house - and see if it will complete the startup. If successful, then redo the wifi connection to use your intended wifi network via Settings > Network > Set up connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Do not ask me support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos
Krich615
Level 7

I see I’m having the same issues as others. I’ve had this roku for a year and just moved to my MIL house. Roku will not pick up her WiFi and it’s in the same room but it’s picking up neighbors(I’m assuming, like 5-7 other networks) wifi names. The WiFi isn’t the problem. It works on other devices. I’ve restarted, unplugged etc. what can I do?? 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Krich615, do you have a model 3900?  If so, it only works on 2.4GHz Wi-Fi and only channels 1 through 11.  Make sure your MIL's Wi-Fi is configured appropriately.

If it's not a 3900, what is the model shown under Settings->System->About?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos