Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Multiple Rokus can't find network on TV, but other wireless okay

Jump to solution

Hi all - I've had a Stick+ on this TV for several months, and suddenly it lost the signal and froze on the home page, and the remote stopped working.  I plugged in an older HD Roku for a few days, which worked fine, and then tried the Stick again, and it worked again.  Then yesterday, it died again. 

Now, my HD Roku, and my old SX Roku will also not find my network!  They at least will search for the network, while the Stick is just frozen on the Roku home screen - no remotes will make it work to even test connection. 

I have tested the hdmi plugs on the TV, they are working fine.  I swapped out batteries for the Stick, but no joy.  Did all the usual stuff - rebooted the router, several times; restarted the Rokus; unplugged and replugged everything.

The Comcast Technicolor Router is about 30' away in the bedroom.  The other wireless devices in the living room are fine.  I have a wireless cable box and a computer using a wireless USB port in the room. My phone gets a signal in the area just fine.  All devices in the rest of the house are working, including a Roku TV and Roku Express (we kinda love Roku around here).

I've never encountered anything like this.  Comcast is supposed to come out, but I'm afraid they're going to just tell me it's my TV or Roku, since everything else picks up the network. 

Anyone have a clue about this? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Multiple Rokus can't find network on TV, but other wireless okay

Jump to solution

@breecat 

Thanks for the note.

Please be aware that the Roku XD and XS are much older devices. 

As for the network connectivity to your Roku Streaming Stick, we would recommend checking out some wireless troubleshooting tips here: Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

If adjusting your wireless network (changing the wireless broadcast channel, etc. isn't helping), send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device. I'll get you in touch with our support team to see if there's anything else we can do to help. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@breecat 

Thanks for the note.

Please be aware that the Roku XD and XS are much older devices. 

As for the network connectivity to your Roku Streaming Stick, we would recommend checking out some wireless troubleshooting tips here: Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

If adjusting your wireless network (changing the wireless broadcast channel, etc. isn't helping), send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device. I'll get you in touch with our support team to see if there's anything else we can do to help. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks, Danny.  The Xfinity guy who came out today was amazing and got it figured out.  It was a crazy confluence of the router dropping its signal and the Stick+ needing a software update, that made the Stick freeze. 

The other Rokus were not finding the signal because, as you say, being older, they would only take 2.4, and the router was getting interference or sending it erratically, he wasn't sure.  He did a factory reset of the router, re-built my SSID, reinstalled the Stick and let it update, and tested my laptop (which had also lost the network) and determined my wifi card is going bad.  A USB wifi dongle on the laptop works perfectly. 

So, long story short, after a confusing set of mostly unrelated events, the router is stable again, the Stick is working again, and I'm happy again.  Thank much for the tip page, and if it conks out again, I will definitely contact you!

0 Kudos