Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sonicsunspot
Level 7

Mulitple Rokus drop connection same time every day

Searched the forums for a similar issue, cannot find anything like this.  First time post - let me know if I missed anything crucial!!  Basically, every day my Rokus seem to be dropping connection at 9am.  It eventually comes back after 5-10 minutes and restarting an application.  I have tried restarting my router (thinking the router timing was resetting at 9am).  This didn't help.  Also confirmed with Google this isn't a problem.  The rest of the details are below:

Critical:

• Model 4660X Roku serial #YJ007T758191  and/or Model 3810X * Roku Streaming Stick+ serial #YH0069228421

• both software versions 9.0.0 --> ultra has build 4114-46 and stick has build 4083-50

• Uptime 5 days 18 hours

• Multiple (5) Roku Ultra 4K Streaming Media Players drop connection at 9am CST every morning

• Eventually, after 5-10 minutes re-launching an application will confirm the Roku has established a goof connection

• This is consistent - problem occurs daily

• Various serial numbers

• Software versions are up-to-date

Nice to have:

• Boxes are connected via Ethernet hardwire and wireless (problem occurs on both - in fact switched one box from wireless to wired to test this, no joy)

• Signal strength is excellent, all boxes

• Internet service is Google Fiber - I contacted Google Fiber about the issue first, and they checked history diagnostics and show no downtown at 9am

• Also of note - all other internet connections appear to work fine, both Ethernet and Wireless

• Box connected via HDMI

• 1080 resolution

Other Information:

• Television Make/Model are all Samsung, 7000 Series (Costco)

• No Receiver

• No other components on the system

• I have no other internet related services that "start up" at 9am CST

• Neighbors don't seem to have internet services at 9am either (plus no other houses that close to mine)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Mulitple Rokus drop connection same time every day

You really should specify which Roku models, to include model number, and the exact software version for each. Saying "latest" is useless, as depending on the model (which you didn't provide), it could be running different versions. Roku rolls out updates at different times to different users and models, so latest for your Roku Ultra might not be the same as your TCL Roku TV.

Apart from that, it sounds like something with your network. The likelihood of five separate devices suddenly all dropping independently is very small. I mean, they don't communicate with each other. Something's likely going on with your network, most likely the router.

Keep in mind, your devices all connect to a router, either wired or wireless. Your router connects to a modem (your router and modem could be in the same case, or they could be totally separate devices). Your modem connects to your ISP. And your ISP connects to the Internet. Likely, it's your router, so info on your router model would be helpful.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I was just in the settings for one of my access points (it's a Belkin router set to WAP mode), and noticed it has a setting labeled Self-Healing. What it does it auto reboot the router every day at the same time. It's possible the OP has such a setting buried in his router/modem somewhere, and it's set to 9 AM. Mine happens to be set at 3 AM, which seems a more reasonable time for something like this. But 9AM is indeed one of the available times, since it allows every 30 minutes from Midnight back to Midnight. My other WAP is running Tomato firmware, and I don't see any such setting within it. 
But I agree that this is something network related, not Roku. It's too much of a coincidence for ALL of the devices to lose connection at the same time. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

If there is such a setting, maybe it would be wise to change it to early AM instead of disabling. I have my router reboot once a week, during the night. Hopefully his make/model will be reported.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
sonicsunspot
Level 7

All above - thanks for the input so far.  The advice I got from Google on their router was to do a power on/off reboot of the device, which upon boot-up sets the router clock to do the "daily restart" or auto re-set.  This made sense as 9am was a reasonable time for when it might have first been set up.  So I got up at 3am and did a hard reset to set the clock at that time.  no joy.  still the 9am issue.

Please note - the rest of my network does not go down - I still have fill Ethernet and Wifi.  I agree - seems logical its a network thing, but why are only Rokus disconnecting.  I get the a blue screen with yellow circle with exclamation point in the middle.  Does that mean something???  Can't find anyone else on the forum mentioning this symbol.  Maybe it's Davinci Code...
0 Kudos
sonicsunspot
Level 7

Also, I find it interesting the Roku setup screens show "Uptime 5 Days 8 hours" - which seems to tell me that they don't think they disconnected.  Makes no sense...
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"sonicsunspot" wrote:
Also, I find it interesting the Roku setup screens show "Uptime 5 Days 8 hours" - which seems to tell me that they don't think they disconnected.  Makes no sense...

The uptime refers to time since the device rebooted, and has nothing to do with any network connectivity.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"sonicsunspot" wrote:
All above - thanks for the input so far.  The advice I got from Google on their router was to do a power on/off reboot of the device, which upon boot-up sets the router clock to do the "daily restart" or auto re-set.  This made sense as 9am was a reasonable time for when it might have first been set up.  So I got up at 3am and did a hard reset to set the clock at that time.  no joy.  still the 9am issue.

Please note - the rest of my network does not go down - I still have fill Ethernet and Wifi.  I agree - seems logical its a network thing, but why are only Rokus disconnecting.  I get the a blue screen with yellow circle with exclamation point in the middle.  Does that mean something???  Can't find anyone else on the forum mentioning this symbol.  Maybe it's Davinci Code...

That screen you describe is really odd. This will take some troubleshooting to resolve. What screensavers are you using on your devices? I ask because I recall threads on this forum from some years back where odd behavior was traced to an app/channel that had installed a screensaver without the user knowing.

Additionally, Roku has recently made changes to the way screensavers are added and activated, and there have been some hiccups in that, from what I've noticed. 

And, since if you install an app on one device on your account, that app gets installed on all devices, that could explain why something is impacting all Roku boxes but only Roku boxes. So, to rule out some screensaver related app -- that's the only process that will run without actually launching an app -- I'm going to suggest that you remove all screensavers from third parties. In fact, I'd suggest removing all you don't use apart from the very basic Roku screensavers. Don't worry, you can add them back later, even paid screensavers. I'd suggest removing all but the clocks (analog and digital) and run just those for a few days. If you find that a screensaver won't uninstall, then that's a red flag.

After removing the screensavers, set to one of the two remaining clocks, either one, and then reboot the device. Check to see if any screensaver has reappeared. Do this for each device. If you find that screensavers are removed, reboot the device anyway.

By the way, you'll notice the uptime you asked about in another post on this thread has reset, since you did a reboot.

After doing this -- don't forget to do this for every device, and do a reboot on each device -- let us know if you experience your 9AM issue tomorrow.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

And you still never answered what devices you have and what version of the software is running on each. "Various" and "latest" are useless answers. Specify each device by model number and the OS on each device, even if the same as another.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
sonicsunspot
Level 7

DBDukes - the screensaver idea is great thinking - I will check it out.  This is happening on Samsung Series 7000 TVs of various sizes, so they may ALL have a default screensaver setting that is causing this.
FYI - I did go back and edit the my original post to add the device numbers, serial numbers and software versions.  I only did it for 2 examples (not all 5).  I use mostly the Ultras for the Ethernet connection, but I have do have 1 streaming stick.

I will advise tomorrow (9am!) if the screensaver is indeed the problem.
0 Kudos