Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dklann1
Channel Surfer

Model 3941X Connectivity Issue

I'm a fairly savvy tech type and have used a few different ROKU devices.  This one was working but it now is not.  I was using it wirelessly and all was well, I didn't even have to set up a network connection for a few of the services I was streaming.  But last week it just stopped so after extensive steps I'm about ready to crush it with my sledge hammer.  I bought an ethernet adapter so I could go with a wired connection and it connected fast but that's where it stopped.  Every time I connected the connection was solid and I was able to see the not only the solid connection but successful internet connection.  Then when I try to connect to Fubo or Amazon Prime I get a message that there's no internet connection and asks if I'd like to set one up.  I check and again get a pop up notice that my internet connection is fine.I'll bring in my blu-ray player and see if I can get it to work.

Like the Rolling Stones I got the Honky Tonk Blues!

Detlef

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Model 3941X Connectivity Issue

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@dklann1

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Who is your ISP (internet service provider)? Have you tried changing the wireless channel on your router?

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting to an alternate wireless network to see if you are seeing the same issue occur? If you are able to connect without an issue, it would seem that the issue would be with your wireless network.

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
dklann1
Channel Surfer

Well I am in a school so do not know the particulars of the ISP.  I have a Netgear WND3400 router, it has both 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz wireless channels.  No other devices are having any troubles only ROKU.  I have done resets, re-activations, among other things.

Specifically everything looks hunky dory until I attempt to open a streaming services on ROKU, I get there is not an internet connection and when I got to settings it shows that I'm connected with excellent signal but I get a prompt that there's no internet and would I like to connect to which I respond yes and it's just a never ending loop with no end.

Detlef

0 Kudos
dklann1
Channel Surfer

Danny,

I also purchased a ethernet adapter and have a wired connection and it's quite stable and strong.

Detlef

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@dklann1

Thanks for the follow up and your responses.

Have you tried connecting to an alternate wireless network to see if you are seeing the same issue occur? If you are able to connect without an issue, it would seem that the issue would be with your wireless network and not the Roku device.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue when connecting to an alternate wireless network, can you please provide us with the following information:

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Can I summarise for my understanding.

Roku device, used outside your hone (you said school) connected by physical Lan connection to network owned by someone else which is connected to internet.

Roku device connects to internet, but Amazon etc. apps on Roku device claim no connection to internet.

That sounds like network admin is running a firewall which is blocking connections to certain endpoints (video streaming services). 

This might be true even if the wireless you are using takes a similar route out to internet (firewall may be blocking wired connections but not wireless, may be deliberate policy, may be accidental inconsistency).

If I have this right, you need to discuss your situation with whoever controls the network you are using. Or give it up as a no go, and go back to how you used to connect.

Unlikely anyone here can help much with any straightforward solution

Not a Roku employee
dklann1
Channel Surfer

Danny,

Here you go:

Yes, I have tried other wireless networks including my ipad and iphone hot spots and it's the same result.

3941X - ROKU Express

Serial #:X01600M3916P

Device ID: S07P2163916P

Software Version: 10.5.0 * build 4208-CR

Issue ID: 6P-128-913

The issue occurs 100% of the time.  I am using my ipdad to watch Directv on the Directv App but that has nothing to do with my ROKU device.

Detlef

0 Kudos
dklann1
Channel Surfer

Mike,

Almost, summary is I can use my ipad using the the same wireless connection to watch streaming services, specifically Amazon Prime.  So this issue seems to either internet or device related.  I have used my ipad as a wireless hot spot for ROKU with the same result which bypasses the schools' wireless network.

Detlef

0 Kudos