Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Model 3900rw Roku Express code 018, slow or no connection

I am getting low data transfer speeds on a Roku Express of around 2 Mbps. This is the 7th generation model, so not the late 2019 model, but the one before. This Roku model only operates on the 2.4 ghz wifi network. With speeds this low it can't keep a 1080p signal.

Running tests on the 2.4 ghz wifi network with an Android smartphone gives 36 Mbps.

When I tested the Roku Express using the Android smartphone as a wifi hotspot (T-Mobile cell provider) speeds were 10-18 Mbps.

Thinking the Express might be faulty I called Roku support. They said I need to contact Comcast and ask them for faster speed on the 2.4 ghz wifi network. That does not sound right as I own my own router, a TP-Link AC1750. Is Roku support right about that? Can a simple phone call to Comcast fix the problem?

As a backup solution, is it possible to use an Xfinity hotspot with the Roku? I tried this but could not make it through the setup. On a PC you would normally enter a username and pswd to show you are a Comcast customer. There did not seem to be a way to do this in the Roku settings menu.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Model 3900rw Roku Express code 018, slow or no connection

So if the router is a long ways away they have repeaters.

TP makes good ones cheap.

Even an older router can become a Bridge to amplify your signal.

I dont like Comcast much. They dont give you much bandwidth.

Also since its behind your TV Aluminum foil can do wonders sometimes.

You can also try different Channels with your Router.

Sounds close to the one I use.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Router not that far, only about 25'.  Also, the Roku menus say connection quality is 4 out of 5 bars.  So not a signal strength issue.  Other devices in the home using the 2.4 ghz wifi network are all working fine (very high data transfer speeds) except for the Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Its possible Comcast is capping your data if you have several connections.

you should PM this guy @atc98092

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos