Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Mirror phone via WIFI without internet connection

I have just ordered the Roku (either premier or ultra can't rememebr which). I have a wifi router at home but it is not connected to the internet as I "cut cables" and disconnected my internet service. Am I still able to screen mirror my phone to Roku with only the wifi signal (meaning Wifi without internet connectivity)? Many thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Level 16

Re: Mirror phone via WIFI without internet connection

Yes. if your smart phone gets the net via cellular

you can use it as a hotspot.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

would you say that it would use more mobile data to stream to roku vs regular streaming on the phone itself? I.E) if I watch a season of the latest Netflix series, would it use the same amount of data to do that on the phone as it would to mirror it on the TV? If not, one could deduce that by simply using the phone's hotspot as internet connection would work just as well and use the netflix or amazon prime channel on the roku. Does that make any sense?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Oh heck yeah! you would be using more Data.

you could get unlimited.I dont know but I would imagine

the Data amounts would be about the same.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have unlimited Data. COuld I use the wifi router (no internet connection) to screen mirror my phone to the roku device? I still have my wifi router but there is no internet connectivity going to it. The wifi network however is still there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Is screen mirroring via wifi the same thing as "internet"

When someone says "you can screen mirror your phone via wifi", does this mean "internet"? As in.....I have a wifi router with no internet connectivity. Will screen mirroring work like this, or, do I need an actual internet connection as well?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Is screen mirroring via wifi the same thing as "internet"

You do not need an internet connection to screen mirror from your phone to the Roku.  Your phone connects wirelessly directly to the Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Is screen mirroring via wifi the same thing as "internet"

However, don't expect to mirror the screen from an iPhone. The iOS doesn't support mirroring to a Roku device. Android devices work the best, and some users have limited success with Windows desktops. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos